• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

AF Blue M35

Jericho

I can clearly remeber riding in a deuce staeside at Camp Bullis TX in 1976 in strata blue . Sac kept blue stateside for well into the eighties , Not all dueces had tactical uses and so not all were painted green

maccus

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Gave up on trying to find a tower signal sticker so designed one that sort of looks like I remember them. Should have them from the decal outfit in a couple of weeks or so. The cost was about ZIP so no charge PB. Send me a PM with your mailing addy.

PB let me know if you want a couple for your stuff.

Attachments

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Gave up on trying to find a tower signal sticker so designed one that sort of looks like I remember them. Should have them from the decal outfit in a couple of weeks or so. The cost was about ZIP so no charge PB. Send me a PM with your mailing addy.

PB let me know if you want a couple for your stuff.
I'd love one to put on the dash of "Lady Maria" Sir. PM sent with info.

Attachments

maccus

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
I'd love one to put on the dash of "Lady Maria" Sir. PM sent with info.
Will get one out to you when they arrive. Good job on the jeep. I have long wondered where the two we had at the Benning TACP in 64-65 went. Both M38A1s were procured off of a Marine contract and were VC-104 outfitted. (with MRC 108 type radios etc.). One was Strata blue and the other was Marine OD. Both had the stickers on the dash. All troops assigned had fight line badges so when we would deploy to a location that took us through a AFB we could drive the jeeps on/off the flight line. So the stickers were required then as they are now on AF vehicles using the flight line. When I checked with the guy at Ellsworth AFB about seeing if he had one of the old stickers he told me he did not and the current stickers were about 10 inches wide (a 2017 issue sticker) and that it was a problem trying to figure out where to locate them in some of the vehicles.

Last edited:

maccus

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Got the tower signals decal Friday and here is a pic of one mounted on the truck. As mentioned it is not exactly like the one that Jeff posted (the correct one) but was the best I could come up with using my limited skills cutting/pasting/etc. of stuff already on the net.

PB tried to send a pic to you on a PM but system would not let me post a pic so here is the pic.

Attachments

Last edited:

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
that’s one good looking truck!

Got the tower signals decal Friday and here is a pic of one mounted on the truck. As mentioned it is not exactly like the one that Jeff posted (the correct one) but was the best I could come up with using my limited skills cutting/pasting/etc. of stuff already on the net.

PB tried to send a pic to you on a PM but system would not let me post a pic so here is the pic.

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
I found that also Jim. It is close but it refers to aircraft and the old one did not mention aircraft only vehicles. I will see if I can find the old one if not I will have to use that one or either forget the decal. Thanks for the info however. I will be talking to a guy at Ellsworth AFB on Monday when he returns to work. His boss said he might have one of the old ones.
Here is both of them

View attachment Light Gun Signals.pdf

tower signal to AF truck.png

IMG_3784.jpg

and if I could figure out why the little corpuscles change my photos to sideways then I world fix that/

Last edited:

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Pretty much done with the truck. Have to add the remote brake fluid reservoir yet, new seat covers, and de-splined front axel hubs.

As you can see the troop seats are on the truck. Firmed up that the truck will be in the Rapid City parade on veterans day the 11th of November. It will be used by the VFW for some of their troops.
I'm pretty sure there won't be a better example of MV preservation at the parade!! Excellent job Sir!!

PS....I got the decal Friday and will place it on the dash as soon as I get the jeepie cleaned up.

Last edited:

maccus

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
The trip to the vets parade on the 11th did not happen for the blue truck. On Sunday the 10th at 10pm local the state, county etc. all pulled their plows off of the road. As it rained, froze then dumped 6-8 inches of snow on all the roads between Custer and Rapid City. As we all know the NDT tires on a deuce are sort of like driving a roller skate on hard packed snow covered roads. It is about 80-100 miles round trip. Some folks hear "Black Hills" and see hills, we do have hills but the "hills" are the highest mountain range going east between the Rockies and the Pyrenees and in places if you miss a turn it can be a long way down to the bottom. Called the VFW and backed out of the parade. So next year we will try again.

Last edited:

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sorry to hear that. It’s a beautiful truck, there’s going to be a line of admiring people just begging for a ride... I got the sticker, thanks! Now I no longer have a reason for procrastinating the repaint.

rustystud

The trip to the vets parade on the 11th did not happen for the blue truck. On Sunday the 10th at 10pm local the state, county etc. all pulled their plows off of the road. As it rained, froze then dumped 6-8 inches of snow on all the roads between Custer and Rapid City. As we all know the NDT tires on a deuce are sort of like driving a roller skate on hard packed snow covered roads. It is about 80-100 miles round trip. Some folks hear "Black Hills" and see hills, we do have hills but the "hills" are the highest mountain range going east between the Rockies and the Pyrenees and in places if you miss a turn it can be a long way down to the bottom. Called the VFW and backed out of the parade. So next year we will try again.
The Black Hills are not as tall as the Rockies or Cascades but it doesn't take much elevation to cause a terrible accident in snowy, icy weather. I live in the "foot hills" of the Cascade Mountains. At 500ft elevation we get snow every winter and the "small" hills we live on are just as dangerous as any in the Rockies or Cascades. I get tired of people "Poo Pooing" me when I say the roads are dangerous so be careful. I guess I should be quite and let them drive off the road.

DutchmanZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I enjoyed looking at the progress of your strata blue deuce. I just recently acquired a 53 Studebaker in air force blue. I’m torn between going back blue or making it green. The forest blue does look really nice.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks