• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1000 reasons to keep military vehicles on the road - please add your comment

Reworked LMTV

1000 reasons military vehicles should be honored and kept on the road:tank::

1. It is an honorable hobby to rebuild and keep such a vehicle
  2. Most do not not travel over 60 mph
  3. Represent a tiny fraction of vehicles on the road
  4. Repurposing these vehicles saves the planet
  5. It brings business to local areas through maintenance, club swap meets, etc
  6. Parades love them
  7. Kids love them
  8. Overlanders love them
  9. Many of these vehicle have saved War Veterans lives. Treat the steel soldiers of the past with respect
  10. Many of these vehicles have rescued civilians in times of crisis (floods, snow, medical rescues in hard to reach places) [we need videos examples to show the legislators]
  11. No one can justify buying these vehicles and managing their maintenance just for the occassional prarade use. Imagine parades without them.
  12. There is nostalgia to these vehicles that brings back memories for our Armed Forces Veterans
  13. You can't drive one without people honking or giving the thumbs up. It just triggers a Patriotic mood to see one

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Cities and states dont really want them until they need them. During a bad wind storm in Memphis in 2003. The city and county wanted to borrow my m54 series truck to help move trees and other things. I refused them cause they had made it a point that my truck couldnt be at my house and couldnt be a personal vehicle. I took care of the folks in my neighborhood beyond that it wasn't my concern especially when the city demanded to use it. Pfft. Kick rocks.

The issue you are going to run into is similar to what happened in Tempe Arizona with the Starbucks. Someone won't feel safe with you having it cause it is offensive. That was the city's excuse from my Muslim neighbor was that it was offensive cause our military destroyed his family during the 91 war so it made him angry. Sad excuse but people arent born with thick skin or taught how to be a human really and work it out with someone. That same neighbor had a tree down across his driveway in 2003 and he couldn't get his car out. Was the only neighbor that couldnt get out after I helped everyone. Karma sucks

Reworked LMTV

Interesting.

Infrastructure / politics / logic awful there. Not sure which is more dysfunctional, Memphis or Detroit. Have lived in both.

The ceiling for being offended is infinite. People exploit this.

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
As a veteran I reserve the right to have a Deuce on the road. Or most anything within reason.
As a citizen that was drafted I have those rights, it is the pursuit of happiness.

Slate

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As a veteran I reserve the right to have a Deuce on the road. Or most anything within reason.
As a citizen that was drafted I have those rights, it is the pursuit of happiness.
Yes Sir. Just like when the Feds tried to make machine guns and other things illegal untill you pay the govt it's due. And they wanted to put a tax on them and make them illegal. $200 bucks back then was definitely an infringement. The judge in the lower court was a WWI veteran and told them to fly a kite because he brought a machine gun of some sort back from the battlefield and was pissed that they wanted to take away his rights and make him a criminal just because he had something someone else didn't like. Later they took it to a higher court and the defendants couldn't be found and so here we are today. Maybe not exact but I read that story years ago. Moral is if we have a chance to defend that right, or you see it could be infringed upon, whatever it is, speak out now or you may not have a chance later.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Adding to the list.

In this instance, municipalities are defined as: Police Departments, Fire Departments (both volunteer and paid), Forestry Departments, Emergency Management Agencies & organizations, and similar, which have a need for large oversize vehicles to accomplish, primary, secondary or emergency missions (Examples include: Brush fire response, deep water rescue)

Private ownership ensures availability of parts for municipalities. (Law of Supply & Demand)

Private ownership provides resources, TMs, work-arounds (doghead mod on CUCVs) etc... that benefit municipalities.

Private ownership provides knowledgeable mechanics and drivers in areas where Veterans may not be, and provides a pool of personnel for municipalities.

Private ownership provides a continued sales base that also supports the 1033 and similar programs. Without the private sales base, 1033 programs may become limited, which may result in directing military vehicles to scrap instead of market (which also limits availability of repair parts).

Private ownership also creates funds for reinvestment when items are divested from municipalities.

Last edited:

cucvmule

collector of stuff
Military Vehicles in civilian possession have been around as long as I can remember.
Living near an Army Base, Jefferson Barracks, and a National Cemetery, the Military consciousness is very apparent in the community.

Parades and Military reenactments are done every year with great participation. The community comes out to be part of the Remembering of the sacrifices of the Living and the Fallen.

Am really glad that I live by a NG Base in Town. I live next to a Gold Star Park, the only one in the Jefferson County.When I did not own a MV I still volunteered to pick up Nurses and necessary Hospital employees because the local Police new I could make it through the snow, weather. Its kind of funny when the locals see the Police watching the truck with the LOUD headers and single chamber half mufflers go by and just wave. If the FD calls I will be there.

I am glad that Missouri recognizes that Military equipment is not evil. But there are those that want to restrict someones Freedom because they do not like it. I believe that the State of Missouri will continue with tagging Trucks but will start to regulate more.

BenRoberts

Certified insane
Cities and states dont really want them until they need them. During a bad wind storm in Memphis in 2003. The city and county wanted to borrow my m54 series truck to help move trees and other things. I refused them cause they had made it a point that my truck couldnt be at my house and couldnt be a personal vehicle. I took care of the folks in my neighborhood beyond that it wasn't my concern especially when the city demanded to use it. Pfft. Kick rocks.

The issue you are going to run into is similar to what happened in Tempe Arizona with the Starbucks. Someone won't feel safe with you having it cause it is offensive. That was the city's excuse from my Muslim neighbor was that it was offensive cause our military destroyed his family during the 91 war so it made him angry. Sad excuse but people arent born with thick skin or taught how to be a human really and work it out with someone. That same neighbor had a tree down across his driveway in 2003 and he couldn't get his car out. Was the only neighbor that couldnt get out after I helped everyone. Karma sucks
I'm offended :tank:

Brutacus

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's a FREE country. This should be reason enough. Every where I look, I see people working hard so they can enjoy doing what makes them happy. Seeing this reminds of something that is the foundation of all Americans, "We hold these truths to be self-evident: that all men are created equal; that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights; that among these are life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness". For a lot of people, the pursuit of happiness is painted in O.D. green.

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My trucks all have purposes. One supports the local Marine Corps Reserve Toys For Tots (T4T) program. The closest Marines are a Reserve unit out of Denver CO, which is 3+ hours away and they’re never home (always deployed). I am a Marine Veteran and helping the T4T program and I considered it a must do mission. My 1970 M35A2 is called War Wagon. It has been built into a replica/tribute Vietnam War gun truck. I use it to try and educate people on the purpose of the gun trucks as well as giving the Vietnam Veterans a tribute and a welcome home. I haven’t found too many other tributes to honor their service. My other 1972 M35A2 is a Tribute to a USAF pilot I once served with. He was killed in the Haitian Earthquake several years ago. As an extension of that, I’m in the process of creating it, I’m also paying tribute to AF Rescue in its many various missions. I’ve additional trucks that once they’re road worthy will support any other causes I see needing help. The three are always ready to help out the community when they need a helping hand. Since my trucks are all tagged as “Pioneer”, I have to be very careful on what I do with them. In the event of an emergency, it doesn’t really matter what tags are on it. I keep them ready for whatever comes up.

Attachments

Last edited:

Nomad1

All I can say is one should becareful what they find offensive because it just might be what deffends you,saves you or helps you! If you own one of these vehicles you are a embassador so have fun be respectful but your not a door mat either:)

Ajax MD

While I am not surprised to hear about a neighbor who was "offended" by a green truck, I am a little surprised at the Memphis county and municipal government's attitude. What you're describing is practically unlawful seizure and use of your personal property. Not at all what I expect from the "Volunteer State." I'd fully expect that attitude from The People's Republic of Maryland or other east coast states north of here.

I would have cleared the Muslim neighbor's driveway just to rub his face in the fact that he was helped by the very same machine and people that he said were offensive. Take away his right to complain. I wouldn't have uttered a word while doing it either.

1Sinner

It is supposedly a free country. People have a right to conduct themselves and own what they wish if they work for it and decide that it fills a need. I know mine is personally used around my little community and I also use it for our county search and rescue when needed.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks