• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Square o-ring for an oil filter? MEP-003

gishooter

Damaged the square o-ring for the oil filter canister during an oil change. The generator is a MEP-003. I "borrowed" another o-ring from my spare Fram CH6PL filter. I would like to have a couple extra o-rings on hand in case that happens again.

I've tried my local tractor parts store. They handle parts for all the big name agricultural equipment. Got close but are a bit thin. Googled and searched here. Closest is a NAPA number but people say it isn't quite right.

Does anyone have a civilian part number or vendor who can supply the correct size?

Also looking for the correct fiber washer for the bolt that holds the cover on. Local hardware stores have some that are close, but again not quite right.

Thanks in advance!

Chainbreaker

I snipped this from an earlier thread and saved it, where someone was asking the same question. I haven't myself tried an actual O-Ring but it should work.

"I use Viton o rings for fuel and oil filter housings, 236 on fuel, 244 for oil. 75 durometer. Sold in 5 packs for the larger, 10 packs for the smaller.

The originals are square profile, o rings work fine as the joint is confined, you need minimal force to seat them into the grooves once wet with oil or diesel."

Don't recall who posted this suggestion or I would give credit.

gishooter

Yes, got the TM with the NSNs. But the local places haven't been able to cross-reference. But I'm going to keep looking.
There is an outfit in Oshkosh Wisconsin that has an online store with them listed by NSN. They specialize in military surplus. But I'd like to find a local automotive or tractor supplier.
Thanks for the tip on the part number for the Viton o-rings. I'll check them out on Monday.

Anybody else?

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
Put the NSN into part target and it will show all the suppliers and the exact particulars
or post the NSN's here and give TM numbers and I will do it here.

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
from this forum
https://www.smokstak.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30427

From Army Technical Manual TM 5-6115-585-12, Navy Publication NAVFAC P-8-262-12, Air Force Technical Order TO-35C2-3-455-1, Marine Corps Technical Manual, TM-05684C/05685B-12 The Oil Filter Element for an MEP-003A is FRAM P/N CH6PL. I have never seen a CH6PL but normally a new filter element come with a new gasket.

You can order the correct Fram filters from rockauto.com they come with the correct gaskets. If you use an auto store parts cross over you won't get the correct gaskets or fit, you need the Fram filters in the orange box. The correct fram part numbers are listed right in the TM. I buy several at a time and have them on hand.

Here is a good thread over on steelsoldiers on filters for these.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/auxilla...lable-fit.html

The TM says the oil filter is NSN 2940-00-580-6304 which lists over 50 filters but not Fram

View attachment MEP-003A TM 5-6115-585-12.pdf

TM 5-6115-585-12 is above, it looks all black but click on it.

Last edited:

Ray70

I've tried the NAPA P.N. that is discussed elsewhere on this forum, but it did not work well. Slightly too wide causing it to not seat into the groove correctly.
Could not stop it from leaking no matter how many times I tried.
I ended up buying a 5 pack from Green Mountain for around $15 or so.
Also, if you use the Wix 51004 oil filters, they don't come with the right gasket like the Fram CH6PL does. Yet another reason to have spare gaskets on-hand....

gishooter

Hmm, I think I got the right part numbers from Onan. will check with the local generator shop that handles Onan. Will report back here. Will investigate doing a spin on conversion also.

justacitizen

now is a great time to convert to a spin on. you wont regret it. and get a voltage regulator from tripplejim and just fix her up right and it will always be there for you.

gishooter

What kind of filters does everyone like with the spin on conversions? I use Wix in my truck.
Does anyone have pictures of the parts for the conversion?

Ray70

I use Wix 51515 or NAPA 1515. I don't have any pics with me now, but I made 4 or 5 spin-on adapters out of 1" aluminum. Maybe took an hr. ea. on the lathe. Then used a 3/4"-16 straight thread X -12AN flare adapter to attach the adapter to the block ( 3/4" straight thread end ) and serve as the filter thread ( -12AN end )
That's why I had to buy the Onan oil filter seals from Green Mountain, to use with these spin-on adapters.
I can post a picture of the parts tomorrow, but here's one on a machine.
IMG_0549.jpg

rosie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hello, guys,

I agree, convert it over to the spin on, it's the way to go. We find that our generators will pick up oil pressure a lot quicker than with the canister type. But having said that, what we have found is that NAPA 5108 works absolutely perfect for it, for the square O ring. For the fuel filter O rings, NAPA 5133 works. They have always worked great until we converted our generators to spin-ons. Hope this helps.

Cheers, rosie

gishooter

Just got back from vacation.

Ray 70 or rosie, any pictures of the parts? Or you can send them to me in a message. Interested in dimensions etc to machine my own. Thanks

Ray70

Ah, darn, I forgot. I'll grab one and make you a sketch with the dims. that I used. I'll send something later today, gotta run home at lunch time and get one, I didn't make myself a drawing when I machined them.

Ray70

Here you go, sorry about the hand written chicken scratch drawing, but you should be able to get the idea. One of these days I'll learn Solid Works so I can model things more professionally looking!
So the .100" wide lip is what fits into the recess where the Square ring gasket normally seals the filter canister. The depth of the front recessed area probably aren't that important other than making the material thin enough in the center for the hydraulic fitting to thread into the motor.
The wide flat area on the face allows you to use a wide range of filters, anything with a 3/4" x 16 thread should work.
Make sure you buy a fitting with a 3/4" x 16 straight thread, not a 3/4"NPT.

Also forget to show that the overall thickness I used is .730" ( I cut it from a 3/4" aluminum plate that needed to be dressed a bit to clean it up.

IMG_0597.jpgIMG_0596.jpg

gishooter

Hi,
Thanks for the dimensions. Looks simple to do. Might get a wild hair and anodize it OD green.
Went to the local NAPA. None of the 5108s in stock. But they'll ship out with some other stuff (from East Coast) so no additional shipping.

Where did you get your -12AN flare adapter?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks