• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

2 meter radio in humv

Kenneth Cole

Hi
I have installed a 2 meter radio in my Humvee which has a soft top. My problem is with high SWR (over 3,0). Using RG213 around 20 ft. and have checked continuity and shorts. Antenna is a 5/8 wave firestix and is mounted on rear using military mount.
Any advice or ideas would be appreciated.

Ken

Valor

Do you have an antenna analyzer, mfj-259 or similar? That would help. Not sure if the firestik has a means to trim it to resonance. That military mount might not be the right one. You need a good ground plane for that antenna. Is there much 2 meter activity in Wyoming?

nattieleather

The link to the antenna site has a big yellow box that says the antenna needs a good ground plane. Since the HMMWV is aluminum body that might be causing some of the problem. Try running a grounding wire from the antenna mount on the body to the frame and make sure you use good star washers to connect it for good connectivity. The steel frame and motor may provide a better ground plane than the aluminum body is. That is what I would do if I was setting one up.

73, k8icu

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks