• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

my PDF uploads show as all black box 07082019

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
OK
What am I doing wrong or not correct
I just uploaded [07082019 1015 hours]to the TM upload section four MEP-003 PDF but they show as all black boxes

How can I fix that
Is the problem here or there.

If I click on the black box it works OK and can view it but this happens with many of my PDF files, not all but many
Help Please.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Not much can be done. The preview (thumbnail) is generated with a 3rd party app. It tries to take a "screenshot" so to say of the PDF. Some PDF's work fine, others simply blackscreen when it tries to do it. The easiest "fix" for this would be for me to disable the thumbnails for PDFs completely. Although that might lead to more confusion?

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
Thank You
Don't change anything
The site works really good due to your and all the Others' eforts
Thank You

I will continue to put the comment "just click on it"
but now I may state "blackscreen"

I am so OLD I remember the "BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH".

Guyfang

Staff member
Frank, I have posted who knows how many TM's. Some show up right. Some don't. My computer science master son told me it may be because in a effort to make the PDF smaller, ( upload size is a big problem) that the thumbnails can not "form" ( his description, not mine) the picture due to reducing the PDF size.

. Patracy, if you did disable the thumbnails, how would it cause more confusion? I freely admit to being computer stupid. So can only guess what the result would be.

If we could fix this problem, I would seriously consider going back and re uploading 99.99% of my computer uploads, to fix them. There are other things I would improve things I did that were not so good. Or add information that I have found in the mean time.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks