• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

cable access boot mep 802A

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you are truly trying to mouse proof this set, you will use a sheet metal panel (with a rated electrical pass through connector) and just make the whole cutout disappear.

LEOK

I'm debating how to set the Gen up. While not in use it is in the barn on bat tender. Bought some 8 inch cast casters swivel with breaks. 1/4 " hardwire over holes. Bought 30' of 10/4 SO cable with 30amp female twist lock [802]. So I'll have two cables coming out the bat tender and the hookup. Bat tender will be mounted inside.

So all suggestion welcome

What's the name of that boot and where can you buy then

Zed254

I just pulled my 802A out of an oak woods on some Virginia property I own: it had been there untouched for a year except for a 1 hour run in November. I attach 4/C 6AWG SOOW cable to the lugs through the 'sock'. I drill a hole through a plastic disc or a ceiling light box (https://www.lowes.com/pd/CARLON-1-G...ndard-Round-Ceiling-Electrical-Box/1000518587) and snug the cable up with a conduit fitting (https://www.lowes.com/pd/Sigma-Elec...ce-Entrance-Connector-Conduit-Fitting/1087431) . I suspect I used a 1-1/4 conduit fitting because of the 2 ground wires going through same fitting. Generator box is loaded with moth balls and rat poison: none appeared to have been messed with. I like the 12 foot or so of cable that allows me to directly plug into a spider box so the neighbors can grab some power during an outage. I have a 4 conductor Twist Connector inside the 'rain' tube. Some guys install a tight box connector to their generator: I suspect this approach would be better for rodent proofing. The only critters I had to deal with were 2 smallish wasp nests under the control panel cover and a black widow spider.....and her spawn. My learning is that Hornet Spray is a good thing to have....

I put sections of truck mud flaps over the 2 air supply and topside air vent. Any snow we get always seems to be wet slush that turns to ice: the mud flap on top keeps the radiator open.

Attachments

LEOK

XDOZZ XB 30554 88-20218 .COVER,ELECTRICAL GE, this what is listed for cable entrance sleeve, but I can't find any around.

Anybody?

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am thinking you might be forced into finding one for sale used from a parts machine only. I still think sheet metal is a better idea, as a mouse can chew through the bag.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you poke around on the big auction site, there is a guy in FL or GA who routinely puts up parts for these sets. You might want to reach out and ask about this boot. Think he goes by Martin Manor Surplus, or something similar.

LEOK

So I considered making my own canvas boot but heavy waxed canvas is expensive. So for $8.50 I got two SO/SJ cord connectors 1/2 " & 3/4" KO for my two cables. Bat tender, and output. Will take existing boot lock plate out and use some street sign alum cut and drilled to fit and it will be mice proof.

robson1015

DSCF2330.jpgDSCF2331.jpgDSCF2329.jpgDSCF2332.jpg
You could use the "hillbilly" method as I did - empty aspirin bottle painted OD green.....but I bypassed the cable opening with 50A box.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks