• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

UAS-10B/Electromagnetic Loud Speaker ALH-100278-001 5965-01-562-5796

MrPhikset

Greetings all, I stumbled across an interesting loudspeaker and am wondering if anyone has heard the output from one before I drive into an audio project for my CUCV. It is the "Electromagnetic Loud Speaker ALH-100278-001 5965-01-562-5796" UAS-10B loudspeaker made by Avatar Research. I have not been able to find much documentation on it other than references that it was used in a variety of applications. I was able to track down the company and when I reached out to them requesting information regarding the connection pins they were kind enough to let me know the following:

Pin A: Ground
Pin B: Sig + Bal 600ohm
Pin C: Sig – Bal 600ohm
Pin D: B+ 14VDC to 35VDC
Pin E: Connected to Pin D

My thoughts on this are wire it into a connector so that I can hook up an audio source and have some tunes.

mcii

600 ohms will be a challenge for you, you wont likely have it, however several simple solutions exist and one if it works is free sans your labor effort. With out making the time to look this up, id bet pretty good money the actual speaker coil is 3.2-16 ohms range and I'd not be too afraid to bet more in the 3.2-4 ohm range. but you have to first get to the actual coil. 600 ohm is typical and esp for Mil equipment, open it up, the various pins and such were/will be for powering the preamp inside your unit all the while knocking down the 600 to the much lower ohm range I previously mentioned, find the actual speaker, 2 wires will be affixed likely those will be spade lugs or at the worst soldered onto the actual coil tabs, if soldered, then trace these 2 wires back to the electronic modual and see if in that scheme they don't terminate onto a terminal strip of some sorts, take your time this i am presuming is pretty new turf for you to be exploring. but worst case you might have to lift the wires away from the coil tabs or absolute worst cut them, if you cut them cut emm very close so you should at the end of this drill have enuff wire to re-terminate them if it ultimately suits your needs, once the coil tabs are free measure across with your vom meter of some sorts you have, reading ohms, this is where you will see the 3.2-16 number pop up on ur meter scale. don't do anything dumb and play with any type of battery across these terminals. if and I presume you will find an ohm reading as I made mention then how or what you feed into the speaker is your decision. I will be very surprised if this speaker is not a 2-5 watt speaker, maybe more until I see it and confirm, sometimes the actual speaker is identified with the impedance and wattage being marked onto the speaker somewhere. at this point remember you will not be using any part of the preamp or the mil spec plug.. till you either make some determinations or I search out your speaker this is about as far as we can go till I now more and also your technical comfort level..
I omitted, if you just have to have or want 600 ohm input, then you will need to buy a transformer, most typically 3.2-600 or reverse it and use 600-3.2 , this all becomes a circus and I would skip this aspect of it..

good luck mac/mc

MrPhikset

The 600 ohm balanced input doesn't phase me, I have worked with professional audio and PA systems before and there are various options as noted regarding audio transformers to get the typical unbalanced output of most modern, consumer devices to the noted 600 ohm balanced input of the speaker such as this: https://www.parts-express.com/bogen-wmt1a-line-matching-transformer--241-996

What I am more curious about is if anyone has personal experience with the noted speakers and can attest to the audio quality before I shell out $200+ for a speaker. I am considering the military speaker because it runs on the 24 volt system present in the vehicle it would be mounted in and appreciate it's sturdy construction. If I would be better off just building my own speaker box using an old ammo can and a more typical automotive grade speaker I can certainly do that too, I have built guitar amps as well.

papakb

If you ever get to the point where you need 600:4 ohm transformers I have a bunch of them that I pulled out of the amplified speaker conversions I do for the PRC-25/77 radios.

MrPhikset

@mcii, no worries, your advise is sound and you had no way of knowing my background as I am new here.
@papakb, I will keep that in mind, parts resources are always useful!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks