• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New project

COX1911

Hello all, I recently came into this abandoned project and was wondering what kind of mess I got myself in. Body is in good condition engine appears healthy with low miles and its halfway between a transmission conversion. All parts for the 6.5 turbo kit are in the back along with a mess of spare parts.

20190710_164333.jpg20190710_164313.jpg20190710_164337.jpg20190710_165521.jpg20190710_165909.jpg

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sounds like you have a project... nights and weekends. Pretty strait forward GM stuff. Any history of the prior work accomplished? If not, start with some known serviceable parts and put it together. It might take it to be assembled to figure out what needs to be addressed to get it road worthy.

richingalveston

Looks like you have a good project. If it were mine, I would go back to an auto tranny. I don't like off road vehicles with a manual. way to much clutch work for me. I had a jeep before my 1009 and off road it was a work out.

I think the hose's need some attention, other than that I think you have a good project as long as the rest of the body is in good shape.

What is it. 1008,1009?

cucvmule

collector of stuff
Looks Great, a lot to work with. If you stay with the manual trans go with hydraulic clutch. I would start engine before I got to far, only to find out it is sour.

Recovery points, look at bumper bolts, tight and original hardware or better. Frame at steering box, check for cracks, being tight. Tie rods, are they good, with the larger tires death wobble can be an issue.

If you have not already read up on some of the areas that are prone to, problems. Starter bracket on and secure. Any rubber fuel lines replace if not new, and maybe replace anyway.

I bet you can not wait to DRIVE. Take your time have Fun and get the whole Family involved. Welcome and stay in touch, A lot of Great knowledge with Troops that Own the 1009.

nyoffroad

^^ and unbolt that flywheel and clean the rust off! You might be able to scrub it off with a 3M pad or sand paper or you may have to have it machined but do it. Clutches are expensive and a PIA to replace due to getting chewd up from a bad flywheel.
Hyd clutch is the way to go also it may sound stupid but check and make sure there's a pilot bearing installed in the crank! Dumber things have happened!
All throw out bearing are NOT equal! **** there not even the same length! (don't ask) do some measureing.

nyoffroad

OH!!! I just remembered! The trucks that came factory with a 6.2 and manual tranny had a tube that is pressed into a hole in the block at the rea of the intake valley, that tube acts as a drain keeping fuel from the clutch lining if any fuel leaked from the IP or supply line and collects in the valley.
Finding one will be almost impossible, I'd make one from soft copper tubing and epoxy it in place.

COX1911

Good info on the plug! The flywheel is absolutley coming off and getting cleaned up. Still need to figure out what kind of five speed I've got and what clutch/ throw out bearing I need. I'm also missing the transfer case, so I'll be running two wheel drive until I build the one I want.

cucvrus

How are you going to be running at all with out a transfer case? Is it a 2WD transmission? If it is it may not be compatable for a 4WD vehicle. Good Luck. I second the suggestion to just put the TH400 back in it and keep it simple and reliable. That's just me. I am sure that would be a budget minded decision also.

COX1911

How are you going to be running at all with out a transfer case? Is it a 2WD transmission? If it is it may not be compatable for a 4WD vehicle. Good Luck. I second the suggestion to just put the TH400 back in it and keep it simple and reliable. That's just me. I am sure that would be a budget minded decision also.
Your right, I was thinking that I could change the tail cone and run a 2wd driveshaft but nope. So now I'll be searching for a transfer case. As far as switching back, it is all budget. I do not have a torque converter and the shifter has been deleted from the column I also do not know the condition of the automatic.

cucvrus

If you were closer I would hook you up. But regardless I would get the TH 400 and NP 208 rebuilt and a reconditioned torque converter before I proceeded. Good Luck. I would help if closer. Parts is something I have lots of.

nyoffroad

Do you have the clutch/brake pedal assembly? That seems to be a tough thing to find in a bone yard IDK why. A pic of the left front of the tranny would help, it most likely is made for a hydraulic throw out bearing so you will also need the clutch master cyl. and slave cly along with the lines. The holes you need to mount the master are marked on the firewall by small indentations. I seem to remember doing something with the brake light switch, maybe bending the bracket or something because it didn't line up with the new pedal. Not sure been a long time.

COX1911

Do you have the clutch/brake pedal assembly? That seems to be a tough thing to find in a bone yard IDK why. A pic of the left front of the tranny would help, it most likely is made for a hydraulic throw out bearing so you will also need the clutch master cyl. and slave cly along with the lines. The holes you need to mount the master are marked on the firewall by small indentations. I seem to remember doing something with the brake light switch, maybe bending the bracket or something because it didn't line up with the new pedal. Not sure been a long time.
Clutch pedal and hydraulic's are on the truck but the transmission is bare. Still waiting for the dmv paper work before I sink a dime into this truck (just incase California won't let me keep it). As soon as I have the title in hand progress should be pretty quick.

COX1911

So, she's tagged plated and titled and work has begun. Installed two batteries, bolted up the starter and repaired the switch wire to the solenoid. Turned the key two the second position and the she turned over and over and over! Then the jumper from the solenoid to the starter began to smoke.20190810_143854.jpg
Any ideas?

cucvmule

collector of stuff
Let me understand. You hooked up battery cables and everything ok? Then you used key to start and you clicked on key without engaging starter and the starter began engaging?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks