• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35a2 registration in CT

Oerthedge21

I've read some old posts about this but didn't want to dig up a thread from 8 years ago so I wanted to start a new one instead. Im in CT. I just bought a 68 m35a2, got my temp plate (commercial) and am getting it prepped to get the vin heck done. Now for the permanent plates, I'm gonna go with classics. A friend is trying to tell me you need a CDL for anyhtig over 11k lbs, which isn't right according to the DMV site, but they were trying to make him get commercial plates for his Dodge 3500 pickup, and told him that. So for the classic plates, has anyone done this here in CT RECENTLY? Did they change the rules up for these trucks or are they still good on a standard licence if they're for personal use and registered as classic?

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I've read some old posts about this but didn't want to dig up a thread from 8 years ago so I wanted to start a new one instead. Im in CT. I just bought a 68 m35a2, got my temp plate (commercial) and am getting it prepped to get the vin heck done. Now for the permanent plates, I'm gonna go with classics. A friend is trying to tell me you need a CDL for anyhtig over 11k lbs, which isn't right according to the DMV site, but they were trying to make him get commercial plates for his Dodge 3500 pickup, and told him that. So for the classic plates, has anyone done this here in CT RECENTLY? Did they change the rules up for these trucks or are they still good on a standard licence if they're for personal use and registered as classic?
PM member Suprman. he will telll you for sure.

fasttruck

CDL starts at 26,000 pounds, or with air brakes, or a bus over 15 passengers including the driver or any weight vehicle that is required to display a hazmat placard. Commercial plates for a 3500 Dodge is a different issue. I don't know about CT but other states can require commercial plates on cars depending on what they are used for. Which requires commercial weight insurance and DOTs are bagmen for the insurance companies making sure nobody is cheating on those high premiums by registering a commercial vehicle for private use.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
CDL starts at 26,000 pounds, or with air brakes, or a bus over 15 passengers including the driver or any weight vehicle that is required to display a hazmat placard. Commercial plates for a 3500 Dodge is a different issue. I don't know about CT but other states can require commercial plates on cars depending on what they are used for. Which requires commercial weight insurance and DOTs are bagmen for the insurance companies making sure nobody is cheating on those high premiums by registering a commercial vehicle for private use.
That cdl thing depends on your state. Not every state. TN is no CDL up needed up to 80,000lbs or if you have air brakes if you are not engaged in commerce you do not need it. Or as a farmer. Any vehicle in interstate commerce over 10,001lbs needs a CDL even in a Toyota tundra with a trailer.

It would be best to receive feedback from someone in his state as that is what he is asking for his state. Not from people who have no experience of operating a MV in that state. just sayin

Last edited:

fasttruck

Does your friend with the 3500 Dodge use it to haul placardable hazardous materials ? Maybe that is why he needs a CDL. And a USDOT and a ICC number.

fasttruck

Reference post 4: States exempt recreational vehicles such as $250,000.00 mobile homes and fire trucks from CDL requirement which would be required if they were commercial vehicles. DOT classifies anything RATED at over 26000 pounds as a commercial vehicle unless some exemption applies. So you have to prevail on the state authorities where you live to classify your M923 as a recreational or farm use vehicle to escape the CDL and a host of other compliance requirements. Registered weight is not relevant so registering a vehicle under its rated weight will not allow you to escape the requirements. The aforementioned Toytota Tundra does not require a CDL unless you are hauling hazmats with it. If your dump truck requires a class B CDL to drive it you do not need to upgrade to a class A license until you start pulling trailers RATED over 10,000 pounds. These are Federal requirements so the individual states have limited ability to modify them other than deciding what constitutes farm or RV or some other excluded use. Even state DOT employees have to hold a CDL to operate government vehicles that meet the requirements of weight, air brakes or hazmats.

Oerthedge21

It's an m35, so he on road full gvw is 22500, although the technical off-road gvw is 18500. Still supposedly under CT CDL. And my friends truck is for personal use only, no hazmat or nothing. I have to get the VIN check done and then go from there and see how many times I have to make calls and got to different places before I get plates

fasttruck

The largest size U Haul truck pulling a trailer does not require a CDL unless you are hauling hazmats in it because it is RATED for less than 26,00 pounds and does not have airbrakes. Fireworks contractors come to my town for July 4th in a rented truck with placards and the driver has a CDL.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Reference post 4: States exempt recreational vehicles such as $250,000.00 mobile homes and fire trucks from CDL requirement which would be required if they were commercial vehicles. DOT classifies anything RATED at over 26000 pounds as a commercial vehicle unless some exemption applies. So you have to prevail on the state authorities where you live to classify your M923 as a recreational or farm use vehicle to escape the CDL and a host of other compliance requirements. Registered weight is not relevant so registering a vehicle under its rated weight will not allow you to escape the requirements. The aforementioned Toytota Tundra does not require a CDL unless you are hauling hazmats with it. If your dump truck requires a class B CDL to drive it you do not need to upgrade to a class A license until you start pulling trailers RATED over 10,000 pounds. These are Federal requirements so the individual states have limited ability to modify them other than deciding what constitutes farm or RV or some other excluded use. Even state DOT employees have to hold a CDL to operate government vehicles that meet the requirements of weight, air brakes or hazmats.
GCWR over 10001lbs tundra plus a trailer with a load over over that engaged interstate commerce not just hazmat. Key there is over 10 001 and interstate commerce.

Once again every state has reciprocity with each other on their applicable state laws regarding vehicle uses. This supersedes any authority of a state compliance officer.

TN has weighted J tags for different weights. 9000. 12000 16000 up to 80k. It is a private truck tag as well. This does not mean you have to have a CDL even if your truck weighs 70k lbs.

Your drivers license is issued by the state. The state holds the authority to govern vehicles and their use. The state governs personal drivers and their personal vehicles .
The federal DOT laws only have authority to apply to those people engaged in commerce. If he is not engaged in commerce with his deuce then the federal laws would not apply to him unless the state adopts the federal laws as their own

fasttruck

26000 pounds is the magic number with trucks. CDLs are required, absent excluded use, for both interstate and intrastate use. If you go outside your base state then you have to participate in the IRP and IFTA programs and still have the CDL. I have never explored the idea if reciprocal rights are granted out of the base state for farm use. Reference post 7: have you actually obtained and READ your state's CDL manual ? These are essentially the same nationwide because they are all derived from the same set of Federal Regs. And the test is the same everywhere to discourage the drivers from shopping around for the easiest state. How do you know a noncommercial vehicle rated for less than 26000 pounds requires a CDL ? Check logic in post 8 concerning U Haul trucks which are RATED for about the same weight as a M35 and do not haver straight air brakes. There seems to be a lot of misinformation floating around about motor vehicle regulations derived from hearsay and uninformed friends. Get the relevant manuals and read them.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Once again it matters on what HIS state is. In my home state and even the state of Mississippi you can drive a 379 peterbilt and a 53foot step deck as a daily driver and no cdl is required. Or a M927 with a cargo bed full of tires and be 33k and you are fine. You are the one misleading the OP on what the feds say vs the state. States govern their own people and driving laws. Not the feds.

Georgia has a class e cdl that I am sure is not on in the FMCSA

Last edited:

fasttruck

Being required to have commercial plates and having a CDL are not the same thing. You can use your 3500 Dodge to drive to the store or pull your boat and camping trailer with private plates in most cases. But start a landscaping business and haul lawnmowers in it see what happens without commercial plates. The states can regulate licensing and registration especially as it comes to intrastate use but federal regs trump the states on issues like vehicle construction, minimum CDL requirements and weight laws. When Regan was president he jammed federal uniform weight laws in on the interstate system to control states which previously had widely different weight laws to generate fines. The limit went up from 73280 to 80000 pounds everywhere then. The guy with the Toyota Tundra may have to have commercial plates depending on what he is doing but he is under the rate for a CDL unless he is hauling hazmats.

Oerthedge21

I'm in CT. According to the CT DMV a CMVis anyhting over 26k or used for hazmat or as a school bus. My truck is nwtiher, nor is it used for any type of business or profit, or any type of interstate commerce. I tried making that clear to the DMV worker, that it's under 26 and I only intend to use it as a personal classic vehicle for occasional driving, but she would have none of it.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Being required to have commercial plates and having a CDL are not the same thing. You can use your 3500 Dodge to drive to the store or pull your boat and camping trailer with private plates in most cases. But start a landscaping business and haul lawnmowers in it see what happens without commercial plates. The states can regulate licensing and registration especially as it comes to intrastate use but federal regs trump the states on issues like vehicle construction, minimum CDL requirements and weight laws. When Regan was president he jammed federal uniform weight laws in on the interstate system to control states which previously had widely different weight laws to generate fines. The limit went up from 73280 to 80000 pounds everywhere then. The guy with the Toyota Tundra may have to have commercial plates depending on what he is doing but he is under the rate for a CDL unless he is hauling hazmats.
Like I said it depends on some states laws they are not all the same. They govern it. As some folks here learned about leaving the Chambersburg, PA yard that got tickets for lots of stuff. Member daybreak got pulled over 3 times in a 15 mile stretch in a vehicle marked "farm vehicle" for them looking for people who didnt know their laws are different than other states or the CMSVA

I believe one member got a ticket for no CDL, medical card, dot numbers ect and he was in an F150 pulling a M103. Well 3 m103s but he couldn't even pull one legally with his license

fasttruck

The concept that DMV clerks do not understand their own regulations. Most states have some kind of exemption for historic, recreational, farm use, historic military etc. I can testify from personal experience that the average MV clerk's expertise is finding some way not to do what you want or make the transaction into 2 trips. If you have a problem with commercial classification find out what the man in MS did to get a Peterbilt with a 53' trailer classified non commercial. And remember, in case you have not read past the 2nd ammendment to 5he constitution, the feds regulate interstate commerce and commercial vehicle topics come under their pervue.

montaillou

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Unfortunately comparing the deuce to just about anything else is the classic argument of apples to oranges.

If you think the DMV clerks don't know what they're on about, hire a lawyer or do the reading yourself. I wouldn't take the word of anyone else that A) doesn't live in your state and B) doesn't own a deuce or C) used to qualify for A and B.

So, if you decide to move to WA, I can help you out.

fasttruck

Reference post 13: The idea that DMV clerks do not understand their own regulations is widespread. Especially one who was clerking in a 7-11 last week. If they push you into commercial plates you will not need a CDL for a M35 but you probably will not be eligible for collector car or special interest insurance either and have to pay commercial insurance rates.

Reference post 11: What is a class e license for ? Driving a hatch back cars that transports table 1 hazmats ? Is there any state that has not adopted the FMVSS by reference ? Yes your state can let you drive farm use vehicles at 14, cars at 16 but you have to be 18 to get a CDL and 21 to drive out of your base state. What does your friend with the daily driver Pete/53' trailer have it registered as ? A camper or RV ?

Oerthedge21

It also seems to depends greatly on which DMV you go to as well as how you do it. I talked to my boss today, and he just registered his m931. He registered it at somewhere around 24k lbs and was able to get a normal non commercial classic truck plate. He also agreed that what they're telling me is bs and that I need none of it, and I'm gonna take his word for it considering he's had his CDL A for a very long time

fasttruck

Go to the same MV office he used and try to get the same clerk. If he has "classic vehicle" plates for a M931 he should be clear of a CDL because it is "exempt." CDL is not an issue for a M35 as its RATED
weight is below the limit. 24,000 is likely the empty or curb weight of a M931.

fasttruck

Just for giggles, do you have a title for this truck ? As I doubt you got it from Government Planet, do you have a bill of sale and a registration from the previous owner ? Even Connecticut must have a MV web site with all their regulations and procedures on it. What does that say ?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks