• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35a2 registration in CT

fasttruck

Reference post 1: my informant in CT tells me some of the state's procedures changed at the first of the year so it will take the average MV clerk 3 years to learn the changes. I anticipate the average clerk does not deal with historic vehicle issues very often. Or vehicles with less than 17 digit VINS. CT is supposed to have a historic or classic vehicle class which is what you need.

Oerthedge21

Yes I have the title and registration as well as a bill of sale from the last guy. CT doesn't require a title of it's over 21 years old but having one makes it a bit easier.

skinnyR1

Its luck of the draw at CT DMV. The clerks will do nothing with a title if you have one, since it isn't required.

https://www.ct.gov/dmv/cwp/view.asp?a=804&q=527244

If you go by what the DMV wants you to do, you will need to take the truck to the inspection lane. According to the website, military vehicles need to go to there for the VIN check.

That is where they take the opportunity to bust your chops. They can hit your for safety violations, namely the high rear bumper or lack there of. They see you as commercial. Wrongly, mind you. Argue all you want, you won't win. They are WRONG, since you are not commercial and are not trying to use it for commerce. Waste of time arguing with them unless you want to lawyer up and waste a lot of time later on. Maybe you get through without an issue, maybe not. I know some inspection lanes are better than others. Do NOT go the Wethersfield hub.

Another approach? Take it to any emissions center and have them do the vin check. Take the paperwork you need to the dmv and mention nothing of former military vehicle. You will probably be pushed right through and can get your classic vehicle plate. Classic vehicle is anything over 20 years old, there is no antique or old or special truck plate for this. Any old civic, pathfinder or whatever can get it. There is no weight designation, it is just a tax break. You aren't commercial, right? There will be no GVWR on your reg. Nothing in the statue limits what you can do with it. Now for insuring and what you actually haul, that is different and entirely on you.

http://www.ct.gov/dot/LIB/dot/documents/dbikes/14-1.pdf

That says 25 years, but it was changed to 20.

Now, if the dmv clerk pushes back, take your stuff and try again later at the same or a different DMV. From my own experience, different clerk, different results.

Good luck.

skinnyR1

And CDL is over 26k. Not this truck. Again, you are not using this for commercial use. You aren't being paid to move stuff in it on the road. You are NOT commercial. This needs to be understood, as this is what the DMV likes to throw around. Commercial codes and laws do not apply to you and this truck if you are using this for personal use.

Comparing to other people with 3500 who CAN tow over 26k is a different thing. You are registering this with no weight potentially, as a classic plate. Just like any other truck on the road, for personal use, even if you went with a combination truck plate, you COULD register it well under the GVWR sticker. Even if your sticker says 20k, you can register it at an amount much lower than that to save the registration fees. You would need to follow the laws though, and actually not exceed that weight though if you were to haul.

Oerthedge21

The vin check shouldnt be bad, I'm gonna go to a local place that my boss got his 900 series checked at, he said they don't really care much about anyhting except that the serial #s match. Once that's done I guess we'll see how many tries it take at the DMV before I get plates.

Oerthedge21

Well I know everyone hates a story with no ending, so here it is. For the VIN check, Torrello tire in East Haven CT will do it for 10$, no DMV inspection or anything which means more time saved and no chance of being hassled about a rear bumper or anyhting. After that I went to old saybrook DMV and I will never go to any other one again. It was the fastest I've ever been through there, and the clerk's understood exactly what I was registering and we're even helpful with it actually. It's all plates and good to go now, and that's the course I would recommend for any one else who wants to get a reg for their truck

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks