Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: MEP-803a Overvoltage Problem

Thanks

Default MEP-803a Overvoltage Problem

I am hoping the experts can help me on this problem I am having. I have gone through all the posts I can find on overvoltage and can't seem to get anywhere.

I have worked on the unit for the past two days and can't get past it. The TM goes through testing the voltage regulator and overvoltage relay but the units appears to have to be running to test these.

I have had this generator for a couple years and decided to fire it up. It started right up and had power at the outlet and lugs. I let it run for about 15 minutes and it stalled out with a overvoltage error. Now every time I start it up the unit it immediately goes to a overvoltage error and stalls out. If the idle is turned down the overvoltage does not appear but when I slowly turn the rpms up the hertz meter jumps from 55 to 60 and I get the error and it stalls out.

As I started to inspect the unit I found mice made a nest on top of TB3. I tore the control box off and cleaned out the nest. The mice did chew on four cables from the generator head to TB3. They also chewed 3 cables going to the grounds on the current transformer. I fixed the leads on the TB3 and spliced the cables to the transformer. I inspected all the cables on the entire unit and cannot find any other chewed cables or where a cable is shorted.

I have cleaned/worked the S8 & S6 switches with CRC cleaner but no luck.

The unit produces power at the receptacle and lugs will the battle switch turned on. Hoping for some suggestions to get me moving in the right direction? Thanks

2 Star General
    Thanks

Have you verified with a meter that the voltage at the outlet is 120 volts AC?
    MEP-831A Governor Controller Replacements for the SLC100, 2990-01-477-1371, 98-19539. https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showth...90#post2233190
    MEP-802A/MEP-803A Remote Start Kits
    https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showth...92#post2233192
    MEP-831A Battery Charger Repair & Repair Kits https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showth...83#post2231683
    MEP-831A Remote Start / Governor Controller Kits https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showth...49#post2245549

Thanks

Yes, with the battle switch on the voltage is 120 at the outlet

4 Star General Light in the Dark's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,168 Times in 698 Posts

Can you get it to crank to start, and flip the battle short up to keep it running?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Light in the Dark View Post
    Can you get it to crank to start, and flip the battle short up to keep it running?
    Yes, it continues to run and has at 120 at the outlet and lugs. As soon as you turn off battle switch it will get the overvoltage fault and stall out.

4 Star General
    Thanks

If you're getting 120 volts at the outlet, that means the generator head is good. It's either the Overvoltage relay or Voltage regulator. Voltage comes into K4 (over voltage relay) and number 4 on the voltage regulator. It senses voltage on the black wire going to the 120 outlet.

Thanks

Well just walked in from playing with it a bit more. I was able to put it in battle switch mode and adjust the hertz to 60 and turn down the pot on the VR. Turned off the battle switch and it stayed running. Turned off and restarted and no overvoltage fault. I will try again tomorrow and see if my luck holds out, if so I will put a load on it and see what happens.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to hcso2332 For This Useful Post:

Light in the Dark (07-18-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,604 Times in 2,695 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jamawieb View Post
    If you're getting 120 volts at the outlet, that means the generator head is good. It's either the Overvoltage relay or Voltage regulator. Voltage comes into K4 (over voltage relay) and number 4 on the voltage regulator. It senses voltage on the black wire going to the 120 outlet.

Dont forget the fault indicator. Every once in a while they go bad. And that's the kind of fault you get. I hope you have the quad modification on your set.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Guyfang View Post
    Dont forget the fault indicator. Every once in a while they go bad. And that's the kind of fault you get. I hope you have the quad modification on your set.
    Yes, this unit does have the quad mod installed.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,604 Times in 2,695 Posts

Next. You stated that you had the set a few years. Did it stand the whole time without being run? Have you ever seen it run right?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast