• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New old stock 803 break in oil.

PoP PoP

I have read up on the break in period and oil type posted here. My question borders on dumb question... none the less here goes. New old stock 803 17 real hours. Checked the genset fluids and found the (Break in oil) to be way over full. 1.5 inches too high on the stick. I drained out 2 liters. Still 1/4 inch high on the stick. Did verify correct stick. Is there a reason it was way over full? I assumed error and drained out the excess. I am not a motor guy and just wanted to ask to be 100% sure. Seems like a dumb question but I do not know for sure and wanted to not destroy a new motor.

PoP PoP

Thanks for the reply. . I verified the stick with another 803 and a 802. Like I said dumb question, but I am not a motor guy. Did take out 2 liter drink bottle full then checked it 9 more times to be sure over last two days. LOL

Chainbreaker

Wow, 2 liters of excess oil is certainly an overfill! How did you drain the excess oil...from drain plug or fill port? If you only took oil off the top there potentially could be water on bottom of sump causing the oil level to read high. Did your unit have a working exhaust flap and was it closed when you received it? A missing or defective exhaust flap is a common water intrusion point allowing water to leak down exhaust and into cylinders and eventually into crankcase. Have you run this unit yet?

Last edited:

PoP PoP

Chainbreaker Good questions and thoughts. Yes 2 liter drink bottle full, drained from the bottom. It is new old stock , only 17 real hours. It had a bad hi temp switch that was not fixed and apparently shoved to the side. Yes the flap was down and in perfect shape. The oil did NOT have a water layer. Yes I have ran it 10 or so times about 20 minutes, and several times over an hour each. I have a 5 kw heater constant and a stove with oven set at 350 with the door ajar, 2 burners on high. When I walk by to admire the other 2 burners for a minute or so to max it out, then 2 off. The load varies from 50% to 110% ish during these runs. I had to do the fuse mod and did put in the MOV. The second new 803 has a very small pin hole leak in the radiator. Going to pull it this week hopefully and get it repaired by a shop that specializes in Rads. Great questions and appreciate the interactive questions. Will continue to run both and decide which one to keep and which to sale.

Dave926

I had a similar problem. Oil was a quart high. Drained mine from the bottom also. No water. Talked to the guy I bought it from. He thinks he added the Lucas burn in additive on top of the regular oil change.

justacitizen

i bought a brand spankin new post driver with a yanmar diesel engine that had exactly double the amount of oil in the crank case. also the hose clamps on the radiator hoses were all loose. i figured the employee went home for the night of end of shift and the next day or shift the process was interrupted.

csheath

Mine was over filled after adding the prescribed amount of oil the first time and the subsequent oil change. I discovered the drain plumbing was tilted up and not allowing all the oil to drain. Part of my problem was the panel was bent where the pipe plug fitting was bolted on.

I straightened everything so the drain tube is straight and it now drains completely. When I put the specified amount of oil in with a new filter it comes right to the line after it's been run.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks