• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

mep-803a dc side shorted to ground

asloan5

I just picked it up from gp as is. only has 200 something hours on it. When I connect the battery it arced at terminal had some burning smell and smoke coming from behind the gauges. I disconnected battery and started troubleshooting. When this happened it tripped the breaker behind the 110v outlet.

The positive cable is shorted to ground via the white cable that brings the DC power up to the pre-heater relay from the starter post. If I disconnect that white wire I can connect the batteries without arcing.
I've disconnected the reset / test panel above the 110v outlet to try to isolate possible bad components.
The disconnected wires from the pre-heater relay that is in the 2 and 3 oclock position if looking at it from the right are shorted to ground. The relay itself ohm's fine
Batteries were hooked up correctly.
The DC control
power breaker is not tripped
I've disconnected the alternator and taped off the wires
I tested the S-1 master switch per the TM and all is good
The disconnected #3 wire from the S-1 master switch is shorted to ground and still is even if I remove all of the k-** relays.
The shunt is short to ground.
I've in
spected the 3 twist lock cannon plugs that brings the wires up through the floor on the are behind the AC alternator.
I've disconnected all of the wires to selector switch for which single
phase an three phase.

please if you have any suggestions on what to look at next. The TM troubleshooting assumes you have power connected via the batteries but I cannot do so because of this short.

Thank you,
Albert

Last edited:

asloan5

Found 2 cut wires shorting to ground behind the gauge [FONT=&quot]panel.... I thought I had found and ta[/FONT][FONT=&quot]ped them all u[/FONT][FONT=&quot]p. Don't understand why they cut wires for no obvious reason. [/FONT]

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks