• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Troop seat material..again

Kaiser67M715

Hi all, I am wanting to replace the troop seats, I plan to do it in white or red oak, but the local lumber yard is 3-4 weeks out, but I would like to at least replace some of the boards for when(IF I fix brakes in time) I bring it to the Weare, NH military rally. Would pine be acceptable to sit on? I have seen some people use it, and it really is just short term.

Or another cheaper alternative to the oak from Home Depot/Lowes?

Thanks guys.

Sgt C

Where are you located in NH? I'm in the Nashua are. Found the oak at a local lumber yard. Had it in stock. Had to RIP it to the right width but it was easy to get here.

DHennon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Used pine on my Deuce. Used a small radius round over router bit to take off the sharp eddges. Primed and put on a final color coat. I keet the cover on the truck all the time. Did this 4 years ago; still loks good and has help up well.

Kaiser67M715

Where are you located in NH? I'm in the Nashua are. Found the oak at a local lumber yard. Had it in stock. Had to RIP it to the right width but it was easy to get here.
Southwest NH, Keene area. The only reason it will take longer is they will be cutting, and planing the boards to the correct size, they do have some different sizes in stock, they would require some extra cutting, and some would need to be planed. I should have planned ahead, but time has disappeared...other projects took priority, and then all of a sudden I have less then two weeks...

Sent from my SM-S920L using Tapatalk

Kaiser67M715

Used pine on my Deuce. Used a small radius round over router bit to take off the sharp eddges. Primed and put on a final color coat. I keet the cover on the truck all the time. Did this 4 years ago; still loks good and has help up well.
Do you use them as troop seats with passengers? If I was doing it just for looks I would have done the pine, I'm just worried about the structural portion of pine.

Kaiser67M715

I did find some oak at another lumber yard, 1"x5.5"x12ft. I was planning on ripping it down and routing the edges, but I decided to use them as is, so I have two wide oak boards as the seat base. And I grabbed some leftover pine from another project to do the back rest(1"x6")- I will replace with oak after the rally, but timing wise I couldn't make it back to the lumberyard to grab 2 more boards. All the original boards had more rot then I realized.

I'll grab one more picture when I get it all put back together and sealed with urethane/paint.

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just a suggestion....use a very light oil (like tung or raw linseed + mineral spirits) and give them a couple coats, letting it soak in thoroughly, then primer and when dry, use oil base paint, like rustoleum new camo colors in rattle cans. Getting oil to penetrate into the wood will prolong it's life a lot. I like the house paints but not for the initial finish.

Boiled linseed has polyurethane in it and while it will penetrate, blocks other oils from going into the wood surface.

Last edited:

Kaiser67M715

Painted the pine upper board, urethane on the oak seat boards. Upper pine will be replaced after the Weare military show.

eagle4g63

I would put the “trex” stuff, last forerver
and no splinters.
I build decks and can say without doubt...DO NOT use trex type stuff....that stuff HAS to be supported every foot, and even then if it gets a lot of sun it WILL bend like crazy!! set in the hot sun is actually how you get it to "soften" up a bit so you can make those pretty curves in fancy decks.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks