• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Odd thing about the M1081

wandering neurons

Seems that the air dryer for the M1081 is mounted different from the standard LMTV. The threads here show the old and new filters mounting directly to the frame. The old finned filter is removed and the new one mounted using a notched universal mounting plate. Reuse the original hoses only adding a bushing to the pressure sensing line.
Not so for my 1997 M1081. The dryer is mounted on a bracket that is at 90 degrees to the frame. The bracket is attached to the frame with the much maligned Huck bolts and is covered with tan paint, which leads me to believe its original.
The new dryer mounts to the bracket perfectly without modifications. However, all lines must be modified. The input line fitting into the dryer is now against the frame and the fitting must point straight down for a new lengthened braided line. About 15” line and a 90 degree fitting to reduce the bend radius. The output line loops up and back down to the bottom of the new dryer using 2’ of line for enough curve. The sensing line must be extended about one foot and use a bushing or new fitting for the larger hole on the new dryer.
But it fits and works, making a quieter and slightly protracted hiss when relieving pressure.
Old dryer removed, it bolts on and covers the circular hole beside the battery box lid, four green dots where the bracket didn’t get painted. Pic shows the bracket and old hoses:
4D6C86B8-52E5-4B9B-99F6-EE8DFAC3BF6A.jpg

New dryer in place with new lines:
E8785C3B-BCD5-429F-BEFD-2C8439833385.jpg00BDE7A3-1896-4E8E-BDA8-0C26C6D81AEC.jpg
Lot note: the line from the compressor to the dryer must be braided with Teflon interior, flare fittings. The heat from the compressed air would otherwise melt normal nylon lines. So I was told...

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I JUST finished this mod to my 1081 BUT for some reason the Pur-est dryer I got has the bottom fittings oriented 180 degrees from the one you have. I had to buy a 36” compressor discharge hose to go from the frame all the way to where the control line is on your install. Pricy at $80.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Most lines off the compressor to atleast 4 ft aft are copper so they dissipate heat better. Air compressors are at around 180 to 190 degree discharge at 1800rpms at the compressor. That temp is reduced by half at the end of the 4ft. Parker 387 line is good up until 250. Parker 919 steel jacket line is good up to 450 degrees. The only issue is that getting hot can screw someone up touching it. Any cotton jacket high pressure hose would suffice after the 4ft distance.

I run the 919 steel jacket line off the compressor all the way back cause I need flexibility

The fittings most hydraulic hoses use like your setup are called JIC fittings (joint industry council) which is a 37 degree flare. Not to be confused with the copper discharge line that would be an inverted flare fitting.

wandering neurons

Good info on the actual temps and hose requirements. And absolutely right on flare vs. JIC. I got lazy and forgot the differences...

Most lines off the compressor to atleast 4 ft aft are copper so they dissipate heat better. Air compressors are at around 180 to 190 degree discharge at 1800rpms at the compressor. That temp is reduced by half at the end of the 4ft. Parker 387 line is good up until 250. Parker 919 steel jacket line is good up to 450 degrees. The only issue is that getting hot can screw someone up touching it. Any cotton jacket high pressure hose would suffice after the 4ft distance.

I run the 919 steel jacket line off the compressor all the way back cause I need flexibility

The fittings most hydraulic hoses use like your setup are called JIC fittings (joint industry council) which is a 37 degree flare. Not to be confused with the copper discharge line that would be an inverted flare fitting.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks