• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Starter Button Bypass

jwboing

No time to order a new button starter switch, I got to use this beast this morning and have been having trouble with the
button switch engaging the starter.
Normally when I wiggle the wires behind the switch i can get it to engage.
Yesterday it took ten minutes of wiggling before I could get it engaged.

If i get stranded I am planning on just cutting the wires to touch them to engage the starter.
Am I asking for trouble by doing this?
Thanks, JW

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Perhaps this helps: https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?99130-Starter-Relay-help

You could just get a heavy duty start button from a tractor supply store and hook that up until you get a proper replacement. You can start the truck by shorting the wires but remember that, although the start button "only" engages the 24V starter solenoid on the engine block, the amperage is still quite high (so don't get zapped and don't weld the ends together).

rustystud

No time to order a new button starter switch, I got to use this beast this morning and have been having trouble with the
button switch engaging the starter.
Normally when I wiggle the wires behind the switch i can get it to engage.
Yesterday it took ten minutes of wiggling before I could get it engaged.

If i get stranded I am planning on just cutting the wires to touch them to engage the starter.
Am I asking for trouble by doing this?
Thanks, JW
Just go to the relay solenoid on the engine block and "jump" it there. No need to cut your wires. You will need them after you get a new switch.

Welder1

Just go to the relay solenoid on the engine block and "jump" it there. No need to cut your wires. You will need them after you get a new switch.
Just a note on safety. Anytime you crank a piece of equipment not sitting in the operator seat make sure its in neutral and parking brake set. I know of several fatal accidents due to people jumping the solenoid and then got run over or crushed because it was in gear. Just recently a close friend was killed working under a pickup truck sitting on a sloped part of his driveway. He was messing with the oxygen sensors with the truck on the ground. Best we can determine he knocked it out of park somehow and it rolled on top of him trapping him and he died pinned under that truck. A very sad ending that was avoidable. So please consider what can happen and follow good safety practices. We are all guilty of not doing that.

Eddie

DeucesWild11

Cutting and touching them together is fine, I just had a button issue and I did just that. Grainger has buttons cheap too I got mine for $5. Plus you're in the cab and can adjust the throttle if need be.. safer too.

jwboing

Cutting and touching them together is fine, I just had a button issue and I did just that. Grainger has buttons cheap too I got mine for $5. Plus you're in the cab and can adjust the throttle if need be.. safer too.
I like the idea of this but I am not techy enough to know which one on Grainger would work.
Does it have to be rated 24v?
I know amps are important so do you know minimum amps?
Or,, a link to what works for you would be fantastic and over the top!
Really appreciate it!

montaillou

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm all for safety. I like to take my chances when the odds are in my favor. And, remember there's nothing wrong with helping the economy by hiring a mechanic if you're just not sure.

FloridaAKM

The starter buttons on both of my Deuces have been changed by the military mechanics to the pushbutton type. One works real well & the other just so so. If you are going to change them out, make sure the replacement switch is 24vdc rated with at least 10-15 amp capacity & is momentary contact/spring loaded. The higher the ampacity, the longer the switch will last. If you get a light duty switch, the current will burn out the contacts prematurely. If you get an on /off type of switch, the starter will run until you turn it off, not a good idea. A mechanic here @ work did that & burned the starter up on our fire pump diesel engine because after he started it, you could not hear the starter grinding away till after the system shut down & it was too late for the starter.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks