• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

LEO Humvees

McSpeed

My local Sheriff's office has TWO military donated Humvees - I believe M1025 models. They are both hard top fast back models showing build date of 1990. I don't know how long they have had them, but they have both been sitting in the same spot so long they are becoming one with the parking lots. The tires are splitting and cracking open - batteries wasted...and who knows what else.

There are a ton of cool parts on both of them - one was fully outfitted with lights and other military police type stuff.

Both have the turret tops and most of the parts still present.

I'd bet you though, that between old fuel, electrics, and other frozen parts it would cost thousands to get them back on the road.

One has plates, the other doesn't.

Anyway...anybody else have donated humvees to your local police that are rotting away in their parking lots?

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
They got them thru the 1033 program. then they realized they were junk and didnt want to pay for parts. Then they learned they could not sell them with the extra crap on them so they just let em sit

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There's 2 ea m1046's rotting away in a North Texas town in a field of the local police...tried for years to buy them, or just the slant back stuff...No deal.

McSpeed

At least one of these was on the street. There was an article in the local paper years ago where they took it out during a bad snow storm and pulled people out of the ditch. But, I've seen nothing since. I'd love to have the doors and roof parts off them - not to mention the antenna mounts, and other brackets.

Awol

They use them around here for detail work, and they bomb around in them when it snows.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It costs them nothing to let them sit and rot.
It’s a shame.
I know of several departments doing the exact same thing.
5 tons and LMTVs too

krazyk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Once they found out they couldn't be licensed for the street, what were they supposed to do with them?
Not to start an argument but this is simply not true. There is a process for agencies to register a tactical vehicle for street use and run exempt tags. Even ones that cant be owned by the department and are on permanent loan to a department. The confusion most have is because the serial numbers do not conform or resolve like normal VIN's but there is a process and special paperwork.

It costs them nothing to let them sit and rot.
It’s a shame.
I know of several departments doing the exact same thing.
5 tons and LMTVs too

I agree. Its because they are too lazy or ignorant to acquire the free parts through the DOD. Ours are all kept ready to roll and get regular PM.

There's 2 ea m1046's rotting away in a North Texas town in a field of the local police...tried for years to buy them, or just the slant back stuff...No deal.
Maybe because they would like to stay out of federal prison? The Demil codes dictate the fate of DOD loaned and transferred property disposal. The general public usually has no idea of how well regulated and audited the LESO/1033 program is. The program is a good thing for departments and citizens. We don't need a few idiots to mess it up. Violators have been prosecuted for doing stupid/illegal actions.

Not to start an argument but this is simply not true. There is a process for agencies to register a tactical vehicle for street use and run exempt tags. Even ones that cant be owned by the department and are on permanent loan to a department. The confusion most have is because the serial numbers do not conform or resolve like normal VIN's but there is a process and special paperwork.
It was a joke highlighting the fact that the government plays by different rules than it allows the common citizen to follow. You know, that special "process" only available to the government agencies.

Obviously your department takes advantage of these special processes.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks