• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Thermocouple location ,Suggestions or thoughts.

Deplorable1

I'm trying to decide where to place the thermocouple for EGT gauge. I've attached a pic for reference. Should I install it in the port that the arrow is pointing to on the foreward end of the manifold or is there a specific location required for accuracy. Not afraid to drill and tap, just thought using an existing bung would be more practical. Let me know your experiences and or thoughts. Thanks

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you look into the exhaust manifold you will see that there is a middle divider. If you drill dead center that is what you hit. Look at the turbo gasket...it also shows that divider.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Deplorable1

If you look into the exhaust manifold you will see that there is a middle divider. If you drill dead center that is what you hit. Look at the turbo gasket...it also shows that divider.

Glad you mentioned that. I've never had one apart. I may have run into it when I remove the turbo to drill and tap the hole but it's better to know beforehand. Thanks.

Deplorable1

Thanks for the input folks. Been busy last couple of days. Ill be drilling and tapping off center on the down spout as suggested sometime soon I hope.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No need to remove anything. Drill with engine idling. The overpressure keeps the filings out that the grease on your drill doesn't catch.

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
Have bacon egg breakfast two days before.
Save the bacon grease, the lard.
Use it on your tap, put to fill the flutes.

It collects the whatever chips, doesn't matter if iron or aerospace stuff gets on.
The Lard on the tap will trap metals, plastics, whathaveyou.
Simple cleanup with rag. You clean it off + off after tap extraction and put "new" lard.
Don't have to run engine or make pressure.
My 1966 + 1976 lessons from many special machinist and toolmakers now all gone.
Try it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks