• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cab Bushing Replacement Technique

Third From Texas

Installed new cab bushings onto the passenger side. Pretty straight forward.

But looking over the driver side, it appears that it will be a nightmare. The assembly is tucked in behind the steering gearbox on one side and the radiator on the other. There is no access from above, fore, or aft.

Cab up and there is no way to get under the bushing.

Cab down and it's about 12" up thru numerous hoses and line offering only enough space to see the nut.

I might be able to jerry rig some sort of extension for my impact gun, but I'm not sure that I can even reach up in there to pull the plate and old bushing out.

Anyone tackled this before have any tips?

MacGreenie

I used a short piece of 4 x 4 treated post as an extension of my hydraulic jack.

Are used it lengthwise against the corner of the body seam at the front, left side of the cab.... Driver side.

This allowed me to pick the cab up and tilt it a little bit over towards the passenger side and got me the space I needed to get to the bolts and to slide the new rubber puck/ bushing in place.

Using a piece of post like this lengthwise there’s an opportunity for it to split; so a small square of 2 x 4 should be placed the end to take the brunt of the force from the cab corner seam.

The cab is sharp at that corner and it will cut into the 2 x 4 pad, but it appeared to nestle in comfortably into the wood slightly and did not bend any of the metal on the corner seam or buckle or wrinkle anything on the cab as I was not taking the full weight of it on the wood.

If this doesn’t make sense, send me a private message and I can email you a quick little video to show you what I did.

I thought it would be a bear of a job; but it turned out to be pretty straightforward once I figured out how to use a jack and a piece of wood to give me a good throw on the jack to create clearance.

Regards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MacGreenie

Also I took out the black out driving a light on the driver side and was able to get a pretty much direct line with a long extension and an impact gun to get to the bolts on the bottom side.

Again if you need a quick video it might be easier to explain that way.

Standing by!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks