• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Steel Soldiers MV of the month 2019 - July VOTE HERE!

Please vote for MV of the month

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Please vote for MV of the month! Feel free to campaign in this thread, but please keep it here and not via PM.

1. jasonjc
jasonjc.jpg

2. jeffhuey1n
jeffhuey1n.jpg

3. Coffey1
coffey1.jpg

4. Tracer
Tracer.jpg

5. GUNNUT in Iowa
GUNNUT.jpg

6. CBrinker
CBrinker.jpg

Here is some of the background on my vehicle.

I will start with another photo of it - that should give you some idea.

Nv0Oc3V.jpg

1SG Lloyd "Bud" Lindeman was a Battle of the Bulge infantry veteran. He told me that when he returned from WW II he started a feed business here in town. He had a farmer that owed the business some money, so he went to collect it. The farmer did not have the money, but Bud saw this jeep sitting in the timber and agreed to take it as payment for the bill.

Bud loved his jeep and spent many hours trying to fix it up. Of course, back in those days there was no internet so it was a pretty formidable task. When his wife, Doris Jane, died Bud moved into a retirement home. There was no room there for his jeep - so he gave it to me. I have spent a bunch of money to make it the way it is supposed to be - with a few exceptions. For instance, the "USA number" on the hood (not visible under the snow) was applied by Bud. It is his service number. As long as I have the vehicle, I will always be explaining how that number could be a valid number for this vehicle. I have "BUDS MB" personalize license plates on it. Yes, I have had to correct people when they say "Bud, what is an MB?" First I tell them about Bud - and then I explain what an MB is. My vehicle will always be Bud's MB.

Anyway, the second photo (as well as the first photo) was taken at Bud's funeral on December 1st, 2018. That is me in front of Bud's jeep at Present Arms. We had a very large turn out of the Color Guard for Bud's funeral. We had more than we could use, but everybody there wanted to be a part of it. One of the "extras" was taking photos. When he gave me the photos, I asked him what kind of special "camera stuff" he did for the photo of Bud's Jeep. He said he just pointed the camera and pushed the button, that is the way it came out.

It was raining very hard before the funeral started and as I was moving the jeep from The Armory to the cemetery. It stopped raining and starting snowing as we were waiting for the funeral procession to arrive. It was not a good day, but I kept thinking about Bud at the Battle of the Bulge. He always had trouble with his feet. He spent time in the hospital after the battle before he was able to return to the lines. I know for a fact the boots I was wearing were far better than Bud ever had at that time - and I would only be there for a brief time. Yeah, that makes a guy think.

Please vote for BUDS MB. I know he would appreciate it.

A very young First Sergeant.

8juLxmB.png

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
patcala.jpgpatcalb 1.jpgpatcalc 2.jpg Picking up my 1971/72 M35A2C at Victorville CA. in 2007. The canvas cab cover didn't last to long, but in 12 years the old girl has never left me on the side of the road.

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
yhst-59523690850641_2267_19709856.jpg I soon found an M-105A2 trailer to keep her company. Also added a drivers spring seat on the passenger side to keep the wife happy. More to come.

CBrinker

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My cucv used to be my grandfather’s, along with a m151a2, a m274a5, a m422a1, and a m1009 that I now have. He got the truck from Havre de Grace, MD in the late 90s and actually a few years later towed his m548 home from there with it, I have a picture somewhere of that and I will try to find it because I know that’s something tough to believe without pictures. It was the first m1008 he had and led to him acquiring many more pickups. He had always talked about wanting to see the vehicles fixed up and was recently diagnosed with stage 4 metastatic lung cancer within the last 6 months so I decided to make it a priority to fix up those vehicles. I have done the m151a2, the m422a1, and this truck so far and hope to finish the others soon. Here are some pictures of the truck through it process of being dug out and fixed up after sitting for 15 years. Started right up after all that time sitting with just 2 new batteries View attachment 770908 cleaned up pretty decent just power washing50386592-0264-4300-9ECA-9A51EEAB321A.jpg here are some pics with the paint finished and with the m151a2 F8A020E3-3218-4605-BE34-512683614C52.jpg7957024A-AF77-438B-AC73-B8D24201E67E.jpgA1E22AB6-556A-4FB6-AE1F-63B7FADFC186.jpg

Attachments

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
patcald.jpgpatcalf 2.jpgpatcalg 3.jpgpatcale 2.jpg In the future I plan to replace the LDT engine with an LDS, but an LDS would need the larger filter assembly to work. So, I found a complete air filter with all the plumbing off an M-52, and with some cutting, welding and a little improvising, I have an LDS air filter that works and fits on the truck without looking out of place. In 7000mi no problems.

Last edited:

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Apologies for not posting all the back story on War Wagon (WW). My hands are protesting vehemently against all the abuse I did to them over the past two weeks. First off, showed the truck at the F.E. Warren Fort DA Russell Days. Lots of kids, adults and veterans got a good look over and I and my wife answered multiple questions about WW. Also drove in the four Cheyenne Frontier Days parades (4 each). Saw lots of people, got lots of waves and a few salutes from Veterans. Here’s a link to check out the parade and War Wagon.

https://kgab.com/second-cheyenne-frontier-days-2019-parade-draws-large-crowds/

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks