• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Transmission shafts and galling and spalling

rustystud

I'm in the process of rebuilding several Spicer 3053 transmissions. I have noticed something on several of my old and new shafts. The older shafts all have larger "bearing" surfaces for the 2nd and 3rd gear. The newer shafts made in the 1980's all have shorter "bearing" surfaces for the gears to ride on. This says to me that they knew there was a problem with the gears "galling" on the shafts so they tried to mitigate this problem with less bearing surface contact and by extension adding more oil.
Here are some pictures showing what I found.

001.jpg003.jpg006.jpg

Picture one shows a 1964 shaft with a bearing surface of .410" per land.
Picture two shows a 1980's shaft with a bearing surface of .300" per land.
That is a major surface reduction !
Picture three shows the "galling" on the shaft on the 2nd gear surface. It is the same on the 3rd gear surface.
I would condemn this shaft because of this galling. Even though all the other surfaces are excellent.
So for anyone rebuilding their Spicer 3053 or 3052 transmission, if you have an older shaft with the longer surface lands buy a new one from the 1980's. Boyce has them as do several others out there.
At $50.00 per shaft it is cheap insurance.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks