• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Building a Long bed bobber

cummins7

Unfortunately I was in a hurry to get it going and built my own 1 piece driveshaft. I haven’t had any problems so far and have taken it off-road and crossed a couple creek beds with no issue. Only problem I have is a slight vibration from 40-45mph but that could also be the tires or something else. I do plan on adding a carrier bearing and making a 2 piece shaft but can’t find any info on a known part number or seen pics up close of someone’s setup...

DB556

I'll have some pictures soon as the parts are in I ordered a rear drive shaft in that I will have shortened the width of one axle input flange to flange plus the length of the mid propeller shaft so I'm guessing 23" shorter.
Along with a set of axle flanges and pinion shaft for fabricating the carrier bearing, for the carrier I'll be using a pillow blocks from a NPR box truck the seem cheap enough
and they come with a nice rubber dampener. Also they seem like the right size when I'll see when they come in.
I'll use the shortened shaft after the transfer case, the stock shaft will go to the axle. Both shafts will have a slip joint so that should allow for some frame flex from the transfer case.

Last edited:

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
BB556, I haven't completed mine, parts are at the machine shop (sidetracked). Rusty commented above on it also.... the carrier bearing.

I went with a slip joint to accommodate transfer case movement that without it, pushes and pulls on the output shaft of the transfer case. I rebuilt the TC on my 817 because of bearing play on the TC shafts and don't like pushing or pulling there, which contributes to bearing or seal wear. Maybe the rubber bushing on the carrier is enough to take any movement when it's not a slip.

With a slip on the front section and the slip on the rear, that rubber is what is holding the position for the mid-section. I decided to make that a solid bearing mount (w/setscrews), to resist any longitudinal movement. What that may do is transfer some drive-line noise or vibration more into the frame. It is a steady position for the front of that section. I will be having it balanced, but the machine shop I use is really good at getting them straight and we don't think the solid mount will be too noisy. I have a rubber one I could mount if it is excessive noise.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks