• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Front Spring Set - Repair or Replace?

wb9btz

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi All...

I was in the long anticipated process of replacing the front brake lines on my Deuce when I spotted a problem with the right front axle spring as seen in the attached photos.

My question is this... Should I repair the spring pack or replace it?

It does not appear that any of the plates are broken.

I believe that the rear of the spring is bowed downward slightly due to not being supported by the underlying plates.

My thought process is to use a thin stainless steel 6" rule and compressed air to clear loose rust from between the plates. When all loose rust has been removed, I would jack the frame of the truck up some to remove the bulk of the weight from the spring. My hope is that the downward bow will be relieved and that the plates will then come back together as much as possible. I would then use a "C" Clamp to compress them together completely at the point where the loose leaf clip is located, allowing me to bend it back to normal and replace the leaf clip bolt and nut.

TM 9-2320-209-3-2 Chapter 17-4 describes making repairs to these spring sets when they are removed from the vehicle, but I am hoping to avoid complete removal.

It appears that this condition has existed for some time based on the rust buildup. Its possible that it may have been this way since I purchased the truck from the Government in 2012, but I have performed maintenance on the underside of the truck several times since then and haven't noticed it before.

Also, if replacement is the consensus, I would need to obtain a spring set from somewhere. (I have 2 brand new springs sets on my "brand new" - government reconditioned in 2010 and never used by the government before sale - M105A2 trailer, but the 105 keeps saying "No Disassemble! :cry:.

Thanks for any advice you may have

Attachments

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
W/w truck? If yes, it should have two extra leafs. They did not always add them when a truck received a winch later in life.

If it was me, I would jack up the front, remove both spring packs and have them repaired and re-arched at a truck/spring shop. I can't tell from the pics with all the loose rust if anything is cracked. But they sure look tired after 40 some years.

Re-arching will make the truck sit better, too. Most are too low in the front now.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

wb9btz

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No winch. Not equipped to support the entire front end of the truck while getting both springs refurbished. I've read in posts here that re-arching doesn't last very long, but I don't know if this is accurate. Both pics are of the right side spring. The left one looks good.

Being retired I am seeking the least expensive (in terms of my labor as well as money) solution.

I am seeking as many opinions and suggestions as I can get so as to form a consensus as to the best solution.

Thanks for your input.

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You are on the right track with the M105 springs, I think. My A3 is sagging too. I'm not a fan of re-arching but if done properly by a real spring shop, it might be an option. Also, if you use the very nice M105 springs on your truck, then you can take time to rebuild the truck springs for the M105. Why not put the best springs on your truck? Then instead of 12 leafs on the 105, perhaps reduce a couple to 9-10 (or keep it original).

I completely understand about a rebuilt 105 (Had a few myself)....but if done carefully, won't degrade it's value at all.

See all the rust....that's oxide that was spring material. It probably got put away wet a lot and the flat surfaces make thick pockets of rust where they hold water. If re-using, clean all rust from every leaf or better, blast them, then primer and oil base paint them...individually. Add a few new in. I reassembled the ones for my deuce with aluminum paint and red grease to limit the space rust can form in the future. With 12 leafs, it is a lot of work, but I expect smooth operation with shocks.

I can't see any way of doing it on the vehicle. You are going to have to do this at a shop with equipment or find the stuff to block/support it safely.

Last edited:

davidb56

I have heavy duty jack stands, but a good big firewood round is more stable if its green and cut square on both ends. they are my preferred stands when I don't have a concrete slab to work on..........which is always.

wb9btz

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have heavy duty jack stands, but a good big firewood round is more stable if its green and cut square on both ends. they are my preferred stands when I don't have a concrete slab to work on..........which is always.
Good idea... I do not have a concrete slab available... except in my garage where the deuce doesn't fit. Otherwise I only have asphalt. I will likely have to do the work in the street (as shown in my profile picture at left). I can get the deuce in the driveway but that is also asphalt with a serious downhill slope :roll: so I wouldn't feel safe doing it there.

I've contacted a professional spring shop and am waiting for a reply from them.

In the meantime, using large wood blocking as you suggest and replacing one spring at a time from my M105 begins to look like a possibility -although the 105 keeps saying "No Disassemble!"

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Caution, zoning violation possible. Neighbors that were friendly may not stay that way when you work on it in the street.

wb9btz

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Caution, zoning violation possible. Neighbors that were friendly may not stay that way when you work on it in the street.
Thank you for the very appropriate "Heads-Up". While its not my preference by far, I have done a considerable amount of work on my truck in the street over the past 7 years. Never have had any trouble and have even had some neighbors stop and offer to help. I live in a very small village (< 500 pop.) and the village council doesn't even consider my neighborhood as being a part of the village -except for collecting taxes, of course. Further, the township doesn't consider us their responsibility either -they say we are the village's responsibility. The developer went bankrupt in 2012 and the empty lots no longer get mowed either. The Deuce was my solution to the village's (and everyone else's) refusal to plow snow from our streets... After 3 years of getting stuck in the street due to no snow removal and going before the village council with no results, I bought the Deuce in 2012. That fall the village finally started plowing our streets.

The stop sign by my house blew down this spring and you wouldn't believe the finger-pointing between governing bodies as to who was responsible for putting it back up
:roll: ! After two months of this and several calls from me, they eventually put it back up as a "team effort" with one employee from each government body assisting in the work
:grd: !

This doesn't mean that they won't hassle me sooner or later, -assuming they can ever decide who is in charge!

In some ways I am blessed, in some ways, not so much...

Last edited by a moderator:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks