• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

NP420 transmission into 1963 M37; shifter rod hits the bottom of the dash in 1st gear

OutpostM37

Someone I am sure has come across this malady. I have a 1963 M37 with a fresh stock 230 cubic inch flat head strait 6 that I have just installed into the engine bay. The correct transmission for this vehicle has been acquired. As I try to install the transmission, the stick shift will contact the bottom of the factory M37 dash board when shifting it into 1st gear. I have removed the transmission for shifter modification. The engine, bell housing, and frame of the vehicle are all factory, no mods. Researching the NP 420 transmission, I see that there were several variation of the "tower" (stick shifter).
Has someone rebuilding an M37 experienced this and what was their correction?
Should I bend the shifter, or cut and weld it shorter?
When I purchased the vehicle, it had an older style four speed with the shifter tower closer to the center of the transmission and a hole cut BEHIND the original opening in the floor board. See pic. I have a fresh floor board, and the correct for year(?) transmission for this '63 vehicle. M37 floor boards.jpg

M37 transmissions (1).jpg

Attachments

Last edited:

Sgt Jiggins

Potato Peeler
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You might drop a message to Ferroequinologist. He has (had?) the NP420 I took out of my '51 M37 20 years ago. If nothing else, he can send you a pic. I'll post a pic of the shifter from it shortly in case it helps you.

When I went to it's cousin, the NP435 (synchronized, otherwise pretty much the same), I too had the situation you have with the shift knob. I wound up heating it in the middle and bending it to fit. It lasted the 18 years I drove it that way before I sold it on just recently. I'm sure it'll still be working just fine after you and I are long gone from this planet.

SJ

IMG_2542.jpg

Last edited:

nattieleather

Made this from the original "highboy" stick shifter.
Lots of room for the nitrous bottle now.........
I know that is just a tongue in cheek statement, but I triple dog dare ya to hook up nitrous and post both pics and video....LOL!

Good job on the shifter should give you lots of easy shifts going forward.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Or just buy the correct shifter from Vintage Power Wagons and be done with it.....

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks