• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Front shocks

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
OK, 1 of my front shocks is bent. They have springs on them like for the up armored cabs I guess. Should I replace just the bent shock with the helper spring or a pair with no springs. Pros and cons please? 2006 A1
Thanks, Tom

Third From Texas

Yep, the springs were just added to accommodate the extra weight of the armor (which you don't have). Same reason that they deleted the cab air ride system.

There's really no reason to run coil overs

coachgeo

search out threads in here on that topic of replacement shocks. There are several. Suggest you use either the advance feature of your fav. search engine or advanced feature thru here though.

Third From Texas

are there actually direct replacement with no modifications? is the number listed somewhere?
Thanks, Tom
The only mod required is due to the fronts using two different sized bolts (top and bottom mounts).

You'll likely have to mod the shock's inserts (see the video I linked above) or change the bolts/hardware (ie: sleeve the existing smaller of the two mounting points on the truck).

Only other options would be to order up some custom shocks with the proper inserts or purchase OEM (and be prepared to bend over *if* you can even find them).

For what it's worth, the only times I ever saw shocks for sale for an LMTV they were:

a) stupidly over-priced
b) made no distinction between front and rear
c) or came without inserts

We've done a good deal of research and honestly anything is going to require a slight mod (unless you just happen upon a pair of A0 OEM front shocks)

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
OK now to change direction. This is for an A1, did all A1 come with springs on the front shocks? These shocks mount with 20 mm bolts top and bottom and are quite different from A0 front shocks. Much larger.
Tom

coachgeo

OK now to change direction. This is for an A1, did all A1 come with springs on the front shocks? These shocks mount with 20 mm bolts top and bottom and are quite different from A0 front shocks. Much larger.
Tom
20mm= .78.. snot larger than a 3/4 bolt on each eye...... honestly that may make it easier to find a shock that has 3/4 eye at each end to fit trucks needs compared to those with A0 trucks. Just ream each out a smidge and install.

Best of luck.... let us know what you use.

Third From Texas

20mm= .78.. snot larger than a 3/4 bolt on each eye...... honestly that may make it easier to find a shock that has 3/4 eye at each end to fit trucks needs compared to those with A0 trucks. Just ream each out a smidge and install.

Best of luck.... let us know what you use.
^This

The A0 trucks had two sizes of bolts (top/bottom).

coachgeo

Tom
honestly if they were not so **** expensive I'd love to have front one's off an A1 to put on my rear once I get the ambulance box on it. Never will happen at price they sell at though.

if your going to build a camper on yours.... save your good one for that option maybe?

Oh and Happy Birthday

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
I would like to see what the manual says about removal of front shocks on an A1. Trying to get a manual but it takes time, I want to take one off now.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks