• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1061A1 trailer payload question

LCP

Hi, new guy here. I am considering a M1061A1 trailer for portable water storage. I would like to put a large poly tank, perhaps 3000 gal, on the trailer. I would be draining the tank before towing anywhere, but I'm wondering if the trailer could handle that much weight (24,000 lb) while stationary. Are the stabilizer legs enough to support that kind of load? I've also considered the M989A1 but I'd rather not lug around such a heavy trailer unless I have to. Mostly off-road towing, hopefully with a full-sized pickup. Thanks for the help.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Tires are rated for 5000lbs each. With the legs it would be fine.

989s do well for square tanks. I have converted a few for farmers

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Even empty the 1061 will not tow well with a pickup. It does not like to turn. M1061 GVW is 15850 and it weighs 5850 empty. Maybe a heavy one ton to go from A to B with the empty tank.

My opinion (I have an M1061) is that for static, yes it will hold that much weight once leveled (not moved).

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wes, I like that a lot. I was thinking of about the same thing using 6x6x1/2" and 5x5x 3/8". It can simply come out for conventional tow with the military or use the 2 5/16" ball. It has to tow better with a longer tongue.

The other mod I am thinking about is a hitch that attaches back at the axle and allows the bed to tilt up for loading my tractor, maybe use cylinders. Third potential mod is a gooseneck.

Last edited:

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can get a higher rating and already is set up for a dual lunette on the xm1073 series. No ball mount but lower to ground than the m1061 draw bar. Bigger cousin to the m1061. I know of a member in La that has one for sale but that is clear across the world from you.

https://uttwi.com/m1073.htm

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks