• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cat 7155 Clicking on M916

JohnJuan

Cat 7155 Clunking on M916

After reading multiple post, on the Cat 7155... If you could help me problem solve that would be great. Here is what I'm dealing with, the transmission shifts great in my M916 but it clicks! The faster I go, the faster it clicks, until I get into 8th gear / middle range then it starts clicking slow and speeds up like before, until I start the high range gears. There is no air hissing or leaks. I did take the umbilical cord off and put air tool oil in the holes as well as in the air line prior to the transmission attempting to alleviate the clicking. I also topped off the transmission oil as well, good color with no burnt smell. This truck is new to me, picked it up yesterday. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Post a video of the sound if you can. Pull the floor access panel for a better vantage. More than likely it is the rear roller bearing but a click vs a clunk can be a huge difference

JohnJuan

It does! How do I deactivate that?... The switch is off in the cab. I was going to video in the morning but that is the sound!!!

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
That is a broken gear in the main gear section of the interaxle. You need to know which axle is doing it so you can replace it. It is very very pricey to fix. I think around 1000 for just the chunk but you need to lnow which axle. So you will need to Jack it up off the ground and figure that out

The interaxle switch is on the dash. It locks the front tandem and front axle in together. It should be flipped down.

JohnJuan

Well... It appears it's in the transmission. The clunking seems to come from the rear main drive area. The transfer case and all axles are quiet. The clunking was there in rear wheel drive and all wheel drive. Also, do I have lockers? All rear wheels are in drive on both sides no matter if I'm in rear or all wheel drive... I'll post 3 videos of everything.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Yes. The truck has lockers.

More than likely you have a broken spring in the rear clutch assembly

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Is the PTO disengaged? Just to double check.

First diagnostics procedure would be to remove the rear driveshaft,
depressurize the air in the system. Then spin the output of the transmission and see if you can feel the clunk with spinning.

The next step would be to pull the valve body off. It would probably be a pain on a 916/20 though. You might be able to undo the rear cab mounts and the drivers side mount and lift the cab to pivot to be able to remove it. I don't think there is enough room thru the access panel. You will need to check and see if any of the gear plates inside are broke off on their outside ears.

Or you can remove the rear clutch housing and check for a broken spring. You will need to remove the driveshaft, remove the rear transmission mount and remove all of the outer bolts on that rear housing. They are 9/16 or 5/8 sockets. Do not remove the interior circle of bolts. Remove the clutch housing from the transmission. Prop the clutch housing up and spin it by hand and see if it is in there. If you feel it there report back

https://youtu.be/F3MGNKTdQWY

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks