• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Priming ISUZU

Tobyzahn

Priming the isuzu on my 804A sucks. Chased control power to the circuit breaker behind the control panel, might need to replace it due to sitting up. BUT not having luck priming the injection pump. If anyone has any tips and tricks I would be mighty appreciative.

robertsears1

You understand that you need to unscrew the top of the manual pump to release the plunger so that you can prime it, right? You will also need to crack the fuel lines as they go up to the injectors and pump until you see fuel, then tighten. Have you downloaded the books? Have you ever seen it run? The 804a has a mechanical pump so you will hear nothing in prime and run on the main switch.
Robert

Attachments

Tobyzahn

Thanks for the info on the screws in the first photo Robert. I did not see anything in the TM's on those. I did crack the ones just above and to the left of the stick and the one just like it on the right. My plunger is just a little different, it does not unscrew but I must have pushed it a million times. I was considering using the auxillary transfer pump on the primary side? But I will try the 4 screws first.

robertsears1

Well start at the bottom and work your way up. Fuel in tank? Does it get to the priming pump? To the right of my manual priming pump is the line that goes to the injector pump, find yours and loosen there. As you pump, you should see fuel, if not find out why. I have replaced my priming pump once because it wasn’t working correctly. If that works, keep going until you get to the injectors. You must have fuel and not air at the injectors to make this run. Once you have that and are cranking, watch the exhaust. You should start to see some smoke. If nothing and you are sure fuel is at the injectors, it is another thing I will tell you about. If it starts, hold the switch in crank until the oil pressure stabilizes (at least 15”), it will not hurt anything. If it cranks and you let go before the oil pressure is up, it will shut down because it thinks it has no oil pressure.
Robert

Tobyzahn

Thank You Robert. I have pulled the pickup tube, tank is full. I do know my oil pressure gauge is not working but I do have oil pressure. That little 7 amp circuit breaker was my first demon.Th e power to the panel kept going away without tripping the breaker. I think I finally messed with it enough I got the dust out. I will work on priming again this evening when it is a little cooler outside.

robertsears1

Mine had around 47 hours when I got it. At first nothing did anything. I read about the dead crank switch and it would turn over from there. After a lot of tapping and wiggling wires, the solenoid would start of make noises. Eventually, it ran. You will need to drop the control panel cover to see if the fuse mod had been accomplished on the right hand side, it will save your generator.
Robert

Guyfang

Staff member
The hand pump that came with the gen set to start with, was notorious for allowing IP to suck air.

The IP is a self priming IP. Cranking it will prime it.

Have you ever seen the engine run?

Do you have the TM's downloaded to help you fix and properly run this set?

robertsears1

Any progress? Please let us know if you got it working which may be useful to someone in the future. Many folks disappear after a few posts and we never find out what worked or didn’t.

Robert

Tobyzahn

Robert, the fuel issue was rotten fuel lines that did not look bad. Kinda hard to ID a bad suction line. I put a little air pressure on the tank and they showed themselves. Replaced them and good to go.
As far as the DC control power issue it has not reared it's ugly head again yet. Maybe it won't.

robertsears1

Thanks for the wrapup. If it ever gets to where it cranks but will not quite run or it cranks but you do not see any smoke out of the exhaust after a few seconds like it is not getting fuel, it may be the magnetic pickup or MPU. Search MPU. I have had that problem twice on my 804a but not on my 804b.

Robert

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks