• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A3 Deuce steering. Oh fu......................dge....something is missing!

JSBIRD69

Steel Soldiers Supporter
M35A3 Deuce steering. Oh my...something is missing!

I'm working on an A3 for a local guy with $, but no time. Once I got hot batteries installed and learned just how easy the Cat starts, I decided to give it a road test.

Oh my! What's wrong with this steering?? I got in the A3 TMs, and discovered the shut off valve on the firewall must be open for the air assist to operate properly. Only problem is...it's not plumbed to anything.

So I go back to the A3 TMs, for a diagram of the air assist system. Once I get my head wrapped around the air assist parts and their locations, I go back to the truck and make sure it's all in place.

Only problem...none of it's in place. All the air assist parts are gone. Just a straight drag link, and nothing else. I can see where one of the original air lines connected to the frame, but little else.

Anyone have a similar experience? This truck was sold at Wright Patterson AFB, but has markings from the West Virginia ANG.

Such a great truck should be more fun to drive, but this one ain't.

Anyone got any ideas for restoring the steering to A3 specs? Parts vendors? I spoke with Bill at Eastern, and all he has available is the $4500 kit. My customer has funds, but not that much!

TIA

Jay

Last edited:

JSBIRD69

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ouch is right Toby!

Would you be a buddy, pull off your A3 air assist steering, and send it to me?? If you'll do that, I'll owe you one...million!!

Jay

Nomad1

Have you checked the innernet for other sources? I would make sure you compare apples to apples. Power assisted steering isn't cheap. One must ask if the manual works how much is one willing to spend on convenience.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What steering wheel is on the A3 you are working on? A3s have a smaller diameter steering wheel than the A2, which would make it even more difficult to steer than an A2 with manual steering. You are going to have to spend some money to replace your missing parts.

JSBIRD69

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What steering wheel is on the A3 you are working on? A3s have a smaller diameter steering wheel than the A2, which would make it even more difficult to steer than an A2 with manual steering. You are going to have to spend some money to replace your missing parts.
Yes Sir, this A3 has an 18 inch steering wheel.

I took my A2, and M105 trailer over to the El Paso county fair for military appreciation day a few Fridays ago. Then hiked a mile home and drove the A3 to the fairgrounds. It was no big deal when I dropped them off before the fair actually started...hardly anyone around.
However, when I went back Saturday night to drive them out through a crowd and back home, a three point turn quickly evolved into a full blown Navy Seal PT session. I swear I heard a little kid laugh at me!

I really hope to get this resolved without too much pain, but in the end, realize it is, what it is.

Thanks for all replies.

Jay

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks