• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hard top

Hmmv4me

What are your thoughts on having a fiberglass hard top made? I was discussing this with a Jeep top manufacturer. $8000 for the initial mold and $2,000 for the tops as they roll out. Might not be a a bad look on a M998. Of course, the top could be modded any way that I saw fit for the initial one. Or has someone already done it?

Attachments

papakb

What's your ROI on them? How many will you have to sell to break even and start making money? If the numbers work then it's worthwhile but your biggest question will be what's going to sell best? You can get an original slant back kit in that vicinity and Helmut tops are already below that point.

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
IMO, Yea, I get the cool and sexy with let's make a buck or a million... so here goes my stab at it from the "Shark Tank"

When HUMMWV's and most other military vehicles are surplussed "think M38/A1, M151/A2, M37's and anything we collectors get our hands is, old and purpose designed. That being said, OLD truck with a NEW top and limited market could be a deal breaker.

I remember M38/A1s with guys building one-off plywood and if talented, aluminum enclosed cabs. Some how ending up like a Post Office delivery truck, NOT COOL. At some point in time fiberglass commercial / military?? cabs could be had, but were few and far between for those models listed.

I believe past attempts to duplicate tops for OLD military rigs for civilian comforts were limited. JEEP made it happen, not so much other military models. (remember those civi M151)

I would say somebody missed the fiberglass boat (haha) when rolling out the HUMMWV. Maybe too heavy, easier to stamp steel? Either way not so bullet proof. How about carbon fiber? OUCH$$$. I do have a helmet top and it's is 400 pounds of resin. I sure would be nice to push a button and have it disappear on those moon light outings.

The little stuff like, licences plate kits, trailer hitches, switches consoles are do-able, but then these are pretty easy to fab up in the collectors shop or buy online.

Not saying "don't go for it". I am sure it could be "tricked out" with all kinds of features , like in the picture, door/s kit too. IMO, missed the market by about 30 years.

I miss my M1009 & I'am OUT, CAMO Good Luck and Success.

Last edited:

Hmmv4me

What's your ROI on them? How many will you have to sell to break even and start making money? If the numbers work then it's worthwhile but your biggest question will be what's going to sell best? You can get an original slant back kit in that vicinity and Helmut tops are already below that point.
ROI wasn't really my mission. Just checking out the real interest in the top.

Hmmv4me

IMO, Yea, I get the cool and sexy with let's make a buck or a million... so here goes my stab at it from the "Shark Tank"

When HUMMWV's and most other military vehicles are surplussed "think M38/A1, M151/A2, M37's and anything we collectors get our hands is, old and purpose designed. That being said, OLD truck with a NEW top and limited market could be a deal breaker.

I remember M38/A1s with guys building one-off plywood and if talented, aluminum enclosed cabs. Some how ending up like a Post Office delivery truck, NOT COOL. At some point in time fiberglass commercial / military?? cabs could be had, but were few and far between for those models listed.

I believe past attempts to duplicate tops for OLD military rigs for civilian comforts were limited. JEEP made it happen, not so much other military models. (remember those civi M151)

I would say somebody missed the fiberglass boat (haha) when rolling out the HUMMWV. Maybe too heavy, easier to stamp steel? Either way not so bullet proof. How about carbon fiber? OUCH$$$. I do have a helmet top and it's is 400 pounds of resin. I sure would be nice to push a button and have it disappear on those moon light outings.

The little stuff like, licences plate kits, trailer hitches, switches consoles are do-able, but then these are pretty easy to fab up in the collectors shop or buy online.

Not saying "don't go for it". I am sure it could be "tricked out" with all kinds of features , like in the picture, door/s kit too. IMO, missed the market by about 30 years.

I miss my M1009 & I'am OUT, CAMO Good Luck and Success.
Yea, from a business end, I think your right. not enough business...

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
With a cost of $8k up front and $2k per unit.... sell each one for $2500 and your break even point is 16 sales.

I would think finding 20 people to pre-order wouldn't be that hard.

On the other hand, if it were viable likely someone would have done it by now.

I guess I'm a minimalist, but i like my 2man soft top.

20190711_203829.jpg

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
Just a little follow up to the HUMMWV Hard Top. Can't predict sales, but you might be under priced on that top. Looked up some of the roof top and slant back after market products for HUMMWV. To build out the roof $3000 and slant back $5500. Add in shipping, paint, fit-up, extra mods, etc. I bet it's not "plug & play". That said, $8000 to build up an after market aluminium one.

HUMMWV hobbyist run the range of cost consensus, budget minded costumers. Once you get your rig, it can be a hard sell to get to those cool upgrades going. The roof thing could be as much as the winning bid and it's not something to bring up at the dinner table.

The idea is sure intriguing. Lots to think about like: built in overhead console, turret cutout or moon roof, roll over protection, molded lighting systems, storage, window / door options, easy on/ off. and the list goes on.

Market could be right and it's got to be cool (more research) to re-purpose an old war horse.

I didn't say that, CAMO

Daves86

For what it's worth, the Slant Back look is what got me hooked on these vehicles. The price point for one of those kept it out of my reach. So we compromise and say we can build it the way we want. But, for me, it comes back to Form and Function. I can accept a different form to keep certain functions and if the form is close and there are more functions (my gear stays dry and gives me some more places to put stuff) I think the form becomes less important. But if the form is too far off the mark I don't know if I am in. Meaning I would look at a wagon hardtop or ambulance before buying a slant back that didn't look right.

I do not believe the movies "Build it and they will come". But I also don't own my own business for a reason.

Just thoughts from a FNG. Love that there is a conversation on this!

obijohn

Have you seen the low hard top, as featured in this eBay item? It was mil-spec, and it is not the helmet top even though it is fiberglas. Perhaps a clone of this would really sell well. I'd be interested. [FONT=Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif]https://www.ebay.com/itm/HMMWV-LOW-PROFILE-RARE-ATTBAR-2008-HARD-TOP-HUMVEE-M998-SUPER-RARE-EXCELLENT/153504762893?hash=item23bd98cc0d:g:XSYAAOSw4d9c6wyP[/FONT]

Hmmv4me

Personally I think the aftermarket parts that I have seen for the M998 are so far off of the price mark that nobody could afford to purchase them. 3k for a set of hard doors with RV windows that don't even open all of the way? The used rusty fiberglass top on e-bay is a great example. If that were for a civi truck, it would be listed for a couple hundred bucks at best. I get the collector value I suppose, but I bought my M998 to drive and have fun with, basically just a toy. Anyway, if anybody wants to pick this project up shoot me a PM and I will give you the contact info I have for the manufacturer.

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sales are also varied in terms of timing. I suppose this is in part due to the limited market and limited number of ways to reach potential customers. I only offer soft slant back kits here, mostly because eBay is all else I can think of and their policies are not pro-seller, if you take my meaning. So my sales are few. I'm also just one guy, so can't get production up to have a solid amount of stock, and it's not a large enough market to warrant outsourcing of my design.

Something not mentioned is shipping. That's a bulky item to move. That will limit your sales opportunities too.

I agree that hard doors seem to be one of the most often asked for items, versus tops, but I recall a few entities that tried to get aftermarket designs working and they didn't take off for one reason or another. This is a niche market, the WHOLE MV market is a niche market. Hard to get a return on investment in a niche market. It's more fun than a regular job, sure, but not as stable in my experience (unlike RWH and others I can't wrench on HMMWVs well enough to make money at it!).

Bulldogger

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks