• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Newbie with an -803a

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think the castle nut on these takes a 1.5" socket if memory serves. That looks much larger.

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Howdy,
Do NOT use ATF fluid in your unit just yet. If your unit was reset, and does not have tons of hours on it. It probably is not junked up. I say change the oil because oil breaks down after years of sitting after it has been used, heated, cooled, and heated and cooled. You said it was reset in 2005. That's a long time for oil to break down. If later you find you have oil system issues, then you can think about running some ATF fluid in the crankcase for a run and then empty.

needed
1 spin on oil filter
1 spin on water fuel filter
1 cartridge filter

That's the way they are. there is not changing. The 002 and 003 are units which folks have modded to spin-on filters.

Go back to the Filters thread, 2nd post and go through the quick links again. You will then be up to speed with the naming of accessories too.

Guyfang

Staff member
If you are intending on doing a flush, I believe I have previously read here a post from Guyfang about running ATF in the machine instead of oil for a certain amount of hours. Really helps strip out any built up gunk, then flush, and replace with standard oil. Maybe he will wander by to correct me.
Dude! You beat me to the draw again!

Yes, you can do the ATF thing. Run it 1/2 to 3/4 hour. I would use the old filter. Then some cheapo oil and a filter, run it for 2 hours. Then change it with good oil and filter.

You can also take a look at the old filter first. You can tip the set up, and the oil will drain away from the oil filter. Then unscrew it. pour out some of the oil from the filter into a glass. If its not funky, then simply put the filter back on, run the set to warm it up and change the oil.

There are some hard to get at places on the set. Shine a light into them. See a lot of fine sand and grit? The set has been down range. Look for that kind of thing. it can help you decide how far into it you want to go. The old rule of, "If it aint broke, don't fix it" is as good today, as it was 100 years ago.

Edit,
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh. I missed it being a reset! Then Daybreak is right. Don't need the ATF. But yes, do change all POL products and filters.

Last edited:

Guyfang

Staff member
View attachment 771186
can someone help me identify some of these items
Tent stakes, ground wire for either the trailer or skid unit, some kind of socket maybe, can't tell if that's a fuel tank cap in the upper corner or not, and maybe some grounding rods or maybe fuel cap rods
The rubber thing is a battery terminal cover. I kinda like them on the POS. terminal. The big socket? trailer Lunet nut? Cant see whats all the way in the back.

76shovel

2082798_6462_11860_0001.jpg2082798_6462_11920_0001.jpg2082798_6462_0_0001.jpg2082798_6462_0_0004.jpg2082798_6463_414_0001.jpg

I figured I would post some pics of the unit...Guyfang in some of the pics you can see some build up of dust/dirt along with some cob webs. So im sure a good cleaning will be in order. The hr meter reads 587 which isn't much in 14yrs since the reset. I guess it can be a bad thing or good. Time will tell soon enough I guess. Thank you for all the comments about my box of collected junk...I was hoping for a treasure chest but got a trunk full of junk...lol...I'm sure the ground wire will be usefully if anything

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Howdy,
Do NOT use ATF fluid in your unit just yet. If your unit was reset, and does not have tons of hours on it. It probably is not junked up. I say change the oil because oil breaks down after years of sitting after it has been used, heated, cooled, and heated and cooled. You said it was reset in 2005. That's a long time for oil to break down. If later you find you have oil system issues, then you can think about running some ATF fluid in the crankcase for a run and then empty.

needed
1 spin on oil filter
1 spin on water fuel filter
1 cartridge filter

That's the way they are. there is not changing. The 002 and 003 are units which folks have modded to spin-on filters.

Go back to the Filters thread, 2nd post and go through the quick links again. You will then be up to speed with the naming of accessories too.

I missed the mention of the reset, my bad.

76shovel

If that's the case. Lets hope it runs as good as it looks...of course without spending a ton of money on it

With that being said does anyone care to share how much they spent getting the're generator up and running to a reliable state. Im budgeting 500.00...now am i in a dream? And please don't laugh if I'm way off...lol

Another Ahab

If that's the case. Lets hope it runs as good as it looks...of course without spending a ton of money on it

With that being said does anyone care to share how much they spent getting the're generator up and running to a reliable state. Im budgeting 500.00...now am i in a dream? And please don't laugh if I'm way off...lol

Like anything, it's a moving target, but maybe there's a rule-of-thumb someone will quote you here.

If you do hear any laughing, it's nobody laughing at you, it's just laughing for the fun of it.

Because it's fun, you know, horsing around:

Laughing.jpg

Last edited:

kloppk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
For my 802A I spent about $300.
S1 plastic shaft was busted. Got a new 75902LV S1 off ebay for around $40.
New fuel & oil filters. $40
Petcock was torn off radiator. Simple soldering fix. $0
Leaky IP return lines. $1 worth of fuel line and a couple of clamps. $3
Two new group 51 batteries. 2 @ $100 each $200
Leaky rubber plug on water pump. Using bits on hand I used a 2" piece of hose and plug to fashion a new one. $0
As a preventative measure I replaced the fuel return line with line I had on hand.

76shovel

Well i guess a horse is better than a jack a$$ and i have been that many times so...laugh away...laugh away, cause I have definitely been called alot worse and have invested more money in worse places. Kinda just looking for a ball park figure. As far as i can tell it all appears to be there. Just figuring what needs replaced, upgraded, and serviced.

I took the advice of several and started getting a few things all though i was gonna wait till i got it home and look it over and make a list. Like someone said, heres to my new addiction and it couldnt be farther from the truth. I found myself when i got home this morning from work ready for the auctions...i dont know if it was good the ol'lady was around to pull back the reins or not, i guess today was someone elses day

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You might get away with under $100 for all filters, fluids, quad fuse, mov, etc. These machines are pretty great. So long as you don't need new batteries (or count your time as $), you might be surprised :)

76shovel

Well im gonna be out on the batteries...not gonnna put the red tops in and just use regular batteries and hook a 24v solar charger up to keep them tended to. I have one left over from my bulldozer that got stolen so i really just need one but will probably replace that one as well and also have a 5gal container of oil as well. And might have enough antifreeze from when I worked at the dealership for a flush and fill. I ordered the mil spec filter with the drain and just need to pick up the other 3 filters.

It should be home Sunday and get the quad fuse put in (mov on order ) clean it up and share some before and after and might get most of the service work done and put some power to it amd see if the pumps work.

If i don't have the mov installed it shouldnt hurt it if I just put the power in the on position to test the pumps as long as I dont crank?

Zed254

....and a 50 gallon spare fuel tank, several sectional military ground rods, the military ground rod hammer, 4 conductor 6awg cable to get the power where you want it, and those electrical connectors, a Spider Box for your neighbors, misc new gauges as needed, and then a whole garage shelf full of spare parts. I just used my spare air filter....2 more inbound. It kind of depends on your situation and how much 'stuff' you have laying around that works with these machines. Oh, and that 24volt pulsetech military solar battery tender is nice.

And Euro Jerry cans....SEVERAL of them....and the connection fittings required to use your Aux fuel connection with the Jerry cans....using mine right now with an 802.

Last edited:

76shovel

Thats alot of stuff and money
Just how used is that air filter? Any chance on blowing it out and selling it...lol

Those pulse tech seem to be the ticket. You have one? Can anyone comment about them

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Only you can decide how prepared you want to be. "Two is one, and one is none" is a pretty good concept when you are in the thick of it during a power outage. Redundancy can make any scenario better if you are prepared. Only you can determine how long you need the machine to be operational (enough oil for 100hr oil changes, enough filters to match, how much fuel on hand for any outage/disaster).

Zed254

100 hours on the air filter.....I'm chasing a blow-by problem on an 802 that had ~428 hours on it when I got it. Runs great but still has that blow-by condition and some smoke at 100%PF. I'll only use it at around 25% when camping but the blow-by bothers me a little. It was pretty well wet stacked when I got it so probably didn't get a good break in period of high power running. I've given it 75 or so hours of 100% running with normal oil and break-in oil. Recently changed back to specified oil. Plugged air filter can result in a too rich fuel mixture that will blow smoke. So I changed the air filter. $15.50 and no bueno. Again, I suspect improper break-in, so I'm just going to use it.

Pulse Techs were going for $45 several years ago, now I can't touch one. I think I paid $60 for mine - it's the small one. Seems to work fine with my lead-acid batteries.

Last edited:

76shovel

Light...the whole concept for this generator was because being without power for a week during a hurricane. So I need to make sure i have all i need on the shelf. i can see why a parts generator would be a good thing. Filters and such is a good thing but what about other components of the gen itself. Anything in particular

76shovel

Zed...thats kinda crappy to deal with. Im hoping i dont run across anything like that with this unit. It has 587 on it. Didn't see any sign/evidence at the muffler-exhaust manifold flange, but who knows till you fire it up. There is nothing but hoping for the best. Also Thank you for the mention about the pulse tech. Here in FL should be plenty of sunshine to keep it going and ready. I will get one on order

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks