• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-002A fuel filter?

Slate

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So with a 002a I have a spare gen set for parts and someone put a single spin on fuel filter and water separator. Is this a good deal? Or stick with the old tried and true? Also are these guys multifuel as well. The plate discusses using different grades of deisel and JP4. Fuel?

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

Slate

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I also wonder if there is a list somewhere on here with NAPA equivalent filter numbers. Fuel etc.

Chainbreaker

If the spin on fuel filter is a quality filter setup it should work well if maintained and will provide the convenience of a spin-on filter change. With that said...there is nothing wrong with using the OEM filter setup, which is what I am using/maintaining & works well.

The military spec'd the design of MEP generators to be able to use fuels that were readily available and stocked in their operations area & compatible for various climates as required. As civilians we have reliable access to the best fuel which is Diesel #2 Summer + Winterized Diesel if needed in your operation climate. Here is a link explaining the different grades of Diesel. Personally I stay away from BioDiesel X% as much as I can. Here in OR B5 is the lowest % of BD we can use on road. Biodiesel is hydroscopic & reacts with various metals and does not store long term very well.

Here is a snip from another forum discussing Jet Fuels:

JP-4 is typically composed of about 50-60% gasoline and 40-50% kerosene, is highly volatile, and contains hydrocarbons in the C4-C16 range. JP-4 was the primary fuel of the USAF for decades; however, it has been phased out in favor of JP-8 (see below). By specification, it contains a full additive package including a corrosion inhibitor, anti-icing, and anti-static compounds. An optional additive is a metal deactivator. Compare to Jet B.

JP-5 is a low-volatility (C10-C19 range) jet fuel with a relatively high flash point (for shipboard safety reasons) and is designed for use in aircraft aboard Navy aircraft carriers. Anti-icing, anti-oxidant and anti-corrosion additives are required in the formulation of JP-5. An optional additive is a metal deactivator.

JP-6 used only in tests during the XP-70 program

JP-7 Not a distillate fuel, but blended from stocks...used for the SR-71

JP-8 was developed to be less volatile and explosive than JP-4. (Commercial Jet A-1 fuel is equivalent to JP-8). In 1996, the USAF completed conversion from JP-4 to JP-8 fuel. It also contains a full additive package including a corrosion inhibitor, anti-icing, and anti-static compounds. Optional additives are an anti-oxidant and a metal deactivator.

JP-8+100 is an improved JP-8 fuel with additional "fuel injector cleaner"-type additives. This new fuel has been demonstrated to significantly reduce engine and fuel system operation and maintenance costs for a variety of aircraft. The new additive also increases the thermal stability of the fuel. (When thermal stability is compromised, fuel breaks down into gums, varnishes, carbon deposits, and coke.)

Chainbreaker

I also wonder if there is a list somewhere on here with NAPA equivalent filter numbers. Fuel etc.
I compiled these cross references from various SS threads a while ago but have not verified every cross reference:

MEP-002a and MEP-003a

Oil Filter – Fram CH6PL (Its OEM & includes proper gasket), Wix 51004 + Napa FIL 5108 Gasket required, NAPA FIL 1004 + Napa FIL 5108 Gasket required
Fuel Filter - Wix 33123+ FIL 5133 gasket required
Air Filter - FleetGuard AF437KM, Donaldson P10-1222, Wix 42222, NAPA FIL 2222,
Glo Plug - IND USA DRX00042K, Onan 333B104, Champion 182 (CH42)

Engine Oil - l 15W-40 – HD Diesel Oil such as Delo 400, Rotella “T” Triple Protection, etc

Hope that helps!

Slate

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I compiled these cross references from various SS threads a while ago but have not verified every cross reference:

MEP-002a and MEP-003a

Oil Filter – Fram CH6PL (Its OEM & includes proper gasket), Wix 51004 + Napa FIL 5108 Gasket required, NAPA FIL 1004 + Napa FIL 5108 Gasket required
Fuel Filter - Wix 33123+ FIL 5133 gasket required
Air Filter - FleetGuard AF437KM, Donaldson P10-1222, Wix 42222, NAPA FIL 2222,
Glo Plug - IND USA DRX00042K, Onan 333B104, Champion 182 (CH42)

Engine Oil - l 15W-40 – HD Diesel Oil such as Delo 400, Rotella “T” Triple Protection, etc

Hope that helps!
That is awesome thank you Sir.

Slate

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Any one know the NAPA filter to use with the spin on oil filter kit from Green Mont. Found a kit cheaper on that bay place. But they show a wix filter but don't show the #.

Guyfang

Staff member
If you dont mind telling a fib, send GM a mail. Tell them you bought a set, that someone had put the GM spin on oil filter kit on, and you need to know what filter to replace the MISSING filter with.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks