• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

4L80 machined oil pan recommendations.

hummer4x4guy

This past weekend I did my 3rd attempt to get my transmission pan leak fixed. It didn’t happen. So I want to go with a machined pan and I am looking for suggestions on a pan that is good to go with. One with a drain. One that will clear the cross member of which mine has about 3/8 of extra space to work with.
Thanks

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have 8 4L80 trucks....none of them leak from the pan. For some odd reason, even the new trucks don’t have a drain
plug on the pans, I put them on all my trucks while doing the first trans filter.
stock pan and stock reusable OEM gasket is what I use.

hummer4x4guy

If the pan lip has an issue it’s always going to leak. It was a brand new pan that was installed. 3 attempts and still leaks enough to cause an issue. I wish the OEM pan and seals would of done the trick as I don’t want to put out the cash for a machined pan but it’s that or one day run too low on fluid and destroy a good transmission.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If the pan lip has an issue it’s always going to leak. It was a brand new pan that was installed. 3 attempts and still leaks enough to cause an issue. I wish the OEM pan and seals would of done the trick as I don’t want to put out the cash for a machined pan but it’s that or one day run too low on fluid and destroy a good transmission.

I’ve installed so many of these pans I’ve lost count, none leak..never even had one leak.
are you using OEM pan and gasket? You should NOT be using any RTV.

REF

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I went with this pan, cast aluminum deep sump with drain plug, fit great - slight mod to linkage on left side to accommodate the thicker flange on the cast pan. CT powertrain Products
34-4L8-840A-Deep cost was $250.00 ctpowertrain.com 1-888-828-7697 I ordered mine on-line but it shows currently out of stock. I didn't have a leak just serviced the trans and wanted a drain plug for next time and 3.25 qts extra oil in the pan can't hurt.
Hope it helps

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The pan would have to be quite distorted, there are a lot of bolts,quite close together to make any distortion disappear once torqued. I use a lot of used pans that when they arrive, are distorted and a little hammering gets them looking ok...once torqued, no issues.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks