• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1008 87 Chevy pickup gas gauge

Tyler16

My M1008 gas gauge does not work and I am trying to find the correct gauge. If anyone lives around Magnolia Texas, please contact me so I can get this figured out. Thank you.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My M1008 gas gauge does not work and I am trying to find the correct gauge. If anyone lives around Magnolia Texas, please contact me so I can get this figured out. Thank you.
The sender in the tank or the dash gauge ?
When searching for parts it doesn't matter what year your truck is , search for 1984 K30 with a 6.2 Diesel.
Also where is Magnolia ? the site rules require you list a state .

Fuel Tank Sending Unit M1008

Last edited:

Russm

Check your connections behind the gauge. One is ground, one is resistance from the fuel tank sending unit, one is 12v.
Many people have issues with the resistance signal not making it to the gauge.
For me, I lost the 12v powering the gauge.

Barrman

I’m 100 miles or so from you with a few spare gauges as well.

What is the gauge doing exactly? If the needle just stays over past F then that is normally a sender issue. You can reach in over the tank from the drivers rear wheel area. That is where the ground wire several people already suggested you clean is on top of the frame rail. Once you clean the ground and bolt it back down. Reach in and make sure the pink wire is securely plugged into the sender.

DeadParrot

If you don't need it to read "Diesel Fuel Only", any fuel gauge from a 73-87 square body PU or up to 89 Suburban will work. My original was stuck at 3/4. Swapped in a spare I had for my 75 C10 and now I have a working gauge. Just have to ignore the Unleaded Fuel labeling. May eventually get around to swapping the back plates.

As others have said, don't assume a bad gauge without checking the wiring and sender. Of course, the gauge is easier to swap then the sender unless you have the bed off.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks