• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Questions for M37 4BT swap

Skyline Buster

I’m wanting to do a 4bt swap into my 1951 M37 but honestly dont know where to start. I’ve done tons of reading about what type of transmission and which 4bt to look for but it just isnt clicking for some reason.
I’m 22 and this is the first build of any sort i’ve attempted, and i’m really just looking for some simplified pointers for me to get a grasp on what i’ll be doing.

My end goal is this. I plan on keeping the stock axles, 4wd, auto transmission, 4bt swap (currently has a chevy 350, no idea what tranny), possibly lift it slightly, looking into aftermarket standard size rims (12.5x20 with probably 37-39” tires if lifted), and then here’s the kicker. I want to be able to cruise down the highway, so at least 60-65mph speeds. I do plan on power steering and power brakes to make that kind of speed much safer and more realistic.

I guess my biggest question is this. Is there a list of what drivetrain setups work with both the stock axles of the M37 and a 4BT motor? I know the information is already out there, I just dont know enough about it yet to be able to figure it out for myself completely.

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When you are on the M37 forum, do a search for 4bt and see if anything comes up. That has to have been a popular topic. If I recall, the 4bt is about 2x heavier.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
4bt engines used in “bread trucks” have the GM automatic bell housing/flywheel parts you need. Will need a power modified 700R4 or 4L80E with aftermarket shift brain to get RPMs down where the diesel can handle it.

mp_tx

I started down this road a long time ago. , with similar goals. So far, I have a 4bt swapped in backed by an NV4500 5 speed and NP205. That’s as far as you have gotten. I realized that stock axles and gearing would not work with highway speeds and 4bt rpm range. So I am going to swap axles with usable gearing. Someday I will have a driveable truck.

Good luck with your build.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Roller

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You could also look here. [FONT=Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif]https://www.4btswaps.com/forum/activity.php[/FONT]

Sgt Jiggins

Potato Peeler
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've read this thread a few times, and maybe I missed something, but I saw a lot of go and little whoa, so my 2cents:

I Love my re-powered M37. Love it. Spent 18 years tweaking it and it's finally to the point where it's a solid machine on today's roads. And I'll be the first to admit, I love pulling out ahead of the pack going down the road. Yea, it goes. Well, at least as much as a 70 year old, 7500# chunk of metal can.

And here's the 2cents: even with augmented "whoa" (disc brakes courtesy of uglytruckling), it can still be scary. Please. If you're contemplating taking a ride in yours a 60+ mph, even if you don't value your own life, consider others on the road and spend time on the brakes.

Be safe. Have fun.

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Suggestion....take the leap up to an M35A3 deuce and make it 4x4 and or bob it. You start off with all kinds of goodies and they can be bought for less than the cost of a 4bt. Things on an A3....Cat 3116, Allison auto, dual circuit poser assist brakes and steering, an extra axle and bed...latest of the deuces.

Replacing 7.62 with 4.90 gears solve the need for overdrive and mate perfect with the 1.1 Allison, so you don't have to be the slowest vehicle on the road. Taking some weight off with the trunion and axle removal changes things a bit too. I like the M37 but the low cost of the A3 is worth looking into, in my opinion.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks