• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Towing Question

4671 Hybrid

Afternoon everyone,
I find myself in a bind and need some quick advice. I purchased a M1083 last August and Papabear graciously offered to store it for me until Dec '18. Here we are in July and due to a conglomeration of events, it's still there. He needs it gone before 7/31, two shippers have already fallen through, and now I'm in a last ditch effort to get it gone before I deploy back out on Monday (currently in NC and the truck is in Columbus, GA).

Moving forward, I'm hoping to get a Volvo semi running today/tonight and get it on the road and driving down there by Wednesday. To bring the truck back, can I use a Pro-tote wrecker attachment or is it better to flat tow? I've been keyboard commando'ing for the last 30 minutes and located both for rent but thought I remember seeing where a wrecker type tow might bend the frame... Is that hooey or is it actually true? The Pro-tote is $225 to rent for a day but would save me from sourcing a welder (mine is in storage), welding and mounting a receiver hitch to the Volvo so I can insert a pintle hitch for the tow bars.

Any other ideas? I was hoping to locate a trailer but so far haven't seen anything. A trailer would be the ideal situation but again, this has kinda unfolded over the last hour or so... Papabear has been uncommonly gracious so I'd rather run myself ragged and try every possible option before I even begin to think of asking him to spend another minute on the truck.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
I guess it doesn't run? You can flat tow at 35 mph for maybe 50 miles. But then run the engine to lube the trans. Slower is better and could go further. Or remove the drive shafts, pretty easy. If you want to pay to have it moved call Frank @ frank.parsons@directconnecttransport.com (612) 810-3027 they are very fast to move things.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Flat tows with equal weight trucks at freeway speeds are dangerous. Even more so if brakes don’t work on towed vehicle. Also, maybe paying for some more storage might be the least risky option of all.

4671 Hybrid

I don’t know if it runs or not but I’m assuming it doesn’t. I’m planning to pull the axle shafts and tow it at 55mph, If I’m limited to 35mph it’s going to be a long trip home. I’ve read/heard that axles are easier to pull than drive shafts...

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I’ve read/heard that axles are easier to pull than drive shafts...
Yep rear axle just remove the center cap and remove one of the bolts that hold on the gear hub. Use the bolt from hub to pull axle and replace the bolt and hub nut. Front axle no way easer here we just remove the u joint from front axle and tie the drive shaft up. Helps to have Tiger u joint tool but some have said that there caps came out with little problem and big hammer.

Last edited:

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
I don’t know if it runs or not but I’m assuming it doesn’t. I’m planning to pull the axle shafts and tow it at 55mph, If I’m limited to 35mph it’s going to be a long trip home. I’ve read/heard that axles are easier to pull than drive shafts...
Les, PM me the address where the truck needs to go. I don't have a driver for the special transport tractors as I am currently downsizing and eventually retiring (again) soon. I might be able to con one of the heavy wrecker operators into taking the truck up there and haul it on a landoll. (No promises...they HATE special transport and they will figure the price).

Also....you need to make sure there is room for an appx 75 foot tractor/trailer plus the length of your truck. All we can do is arrive...and let the truck roll off the Landoll. Where it lands is where it stays.

NDT....I haven't charged any storage and I won't as long as Les is making an honest effort....and he is...so...

What I DON'T want to happen is someone offer me my price to walk away from the property (well....actually I do)...but I don't want Les to be left hanging and possibly lose the truck.

I'll check and see which heavy drivers are off this weekend and if they may be interested in making the trip....BUT....it also depends on driver hours available....

Last edited:

sandcobra164

Is moving it to Leesburg, Ga off the table? If not, looks like I need to get re-engaged if you cannot get it moved. I let the issue fizzle because you and Papabear had a deal going but I understand things change. Everyone involved has my phone number but just in case, 229-364-2842. Papabear is absolutely a kind man to deal with. I put about 70 hours on a generator I borrowed from him after Hurricane Michael tore up the power grid around here and I couldn't give him a penny. Lastly, lift towing bending the frame on an LMTV is limited to LTAS Armored as the Armor has been applied long wheel base trucks. Your truck can be safely lift towed. If I help you out, it will likely be lift towed behind a M984A4 with the rear axle shafts pulled.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Is moving it to Leesburg, Ga off the table? If not, looks like I need to get re-engaged if you cannot get it moved. I let the issue fizzle because you and Papabear had a deal going but I understand things change. Everyone involved has my phone number but just in case, 229-364-2842. Papabear is absolutely a kind man to deal with. I put about 70 hours on a generator I borrowed from him after Hurricane Michael tore up the power grid around here and I couldn't give him a penny. Lastly, lift towing bending the frame on an LMTV is limited to LTAS Armored as the Armor has been applied long wheel base trucks. Your truck can be safely lift towed. If I help you out, it will likely be lift towed behind a M984A4 with the rear axle shafts pulled.
If you want to take it to your place Joseph and I can work out something in the future to get it to NC. Maybe help him to get it running. Shouldn't be too difficult

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
If you want to take it to your place Joseph and I can work out something in the future to get it to NC. Maybe help him to get it running. Shouldn't be too difficult
It has a "TI Sheet" laying in the floorboard that says "won't crank"....but a little further down it says "needs new batteries".....so....who knows...the other stuff is too faded to read.

Also....and this is what kept me from messing with it, on the passenger side dash there is some sort of "fuze/circuit breaker" panel that is uncovered and has a few loose items laying around and it looks like some may be missing.

I know absolutely nothing about these things so I'm afraid to mess with it.

We DO keep the tire aired up that goes down about every two months.:papabear:

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
It has a "TI Sheet" laying in the floorboard that says "won't crank"....but a little further down it says "needs new batteries".....so....who knows...the other stuff is too faded to read.

Also....and this is what kept me from messing with it, on the passenger side dash there is some sort of "fuze/circuit breaker" panel that is uncovered and has a few loose items laying around and it looks like some may be missing.

I know absolutely nothing about these things so I'm afraid to mess with it.

We DO keep the tire aired up that goes down about every two months.:papabear:
You just gotta hold your tongue right and look at it a little cross eyed and its easier to work on.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Gotta have a clothes pin as well. Similar to working in a Japanese car so you can put it on the end of your .... so you will squint so you can see what they were doing

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I guess it doesn't run? You can flat tow at 35 mph for maybe 50 miles. But then run the engine to lube the trans. Slower is better and could go further. Or remove the drive shafts, pretty easy. If you want to pay to have it moved call Frank @ frank.parsons@directconnecttransport.com (612) 810-3027 they are very fast to move things.
The pump runs off the output of the transfer case. As long as its spinning it will pump fluid. No reason to run the motor

sandcobra164

Okay, we are in crunch time. I'm planning on towing this truck tomorrow so at least it is at a safe location. I never got a firm agreement with the owner but he is talking through PM to Simp5782 so I'm going to take that as agreement to the plan that he and Simp put together. For the owner, it will be lift towed by an M984A4 using correct procedures. I've performed such recoveries countless times and anticipate no issues while doing so.

4671 Hybrid

All, apologies for being MIA, I wasn't getting any notices and didn't realize y'all were in here planning and offering advice. Please don't think I'm not appreciative or was turning a blind ear, that isn't the case at all.

The last few days have seen me getting my other truck out of mothballs, doing PM's, replacing starters, chasing oil sensors, replacing batteries, etc... and arranging to rent a lift-tow that slides into the 5th wheel to get it home. Having very little experience but a willing attitude, I was prepared to depart tonight/tomorrow when SandCobra, Simp, PB, and a member out of NC stepped in to offer additional assistance. I can't thank y'all enough. From the purchase to the storage to the transportation this is NOT how I envisioned this going but am extremely appreciative of the helping hands. Although I feel like a leach at the moment, this generosity will definitely be repaid and I look forward to working on some of y'alls projects and helping move things in the years to come.

Moving ahead, PB indicated he could wrangle another few weeks of storage (thanks for keeping that tire aired up!) but I'm appreciative of SandCobra picking it up sooner and leaving PB free to take care of his retirement planning. I'm also appreciative of Simp bringing it to NC when he's passing through and for Patrick parking it as his place and taking a look at it. Again, I can't thank y'all enough.

SandCobra, it's a bit late now but I'll give you a call in the morning...not to check up on you as I trust your experience but to at least talk a bit and say thanks in person (sort of). Your M984A4 looks a tad more up to the task then my Volvo with a 5th wheel lift:)

From wrenching 18+ hour days for the last couple days, at least my Volvo is now approaching reliable status and will be ready to hook to a trailer and pay this generosity forward when I return to the US semi-perm and aren't doing everything from afar.

Last edited:

sandcobra164

4671 Hybrid,
IF PB can set-up a few more weeks of storage and Simp can get to the truck the first half of August, THAT course of action would be best. I have a few reservations about towing the truck that I was willing to gamble on IF it was a move or lost situation. My first concern is obviously the tire that goes down over the course of a month. I'm worried if it has any sidewall damage and if it would hold out for 90 miles. Secondly, once it makes it to my yard the only method I have available to load is my M923 and a towbar. Simp and I have pushed stuff onto his trailer this way previously but it's a tedious and dangerous task. Where it's sitting they have access to huge rotator wreckers that could drop the truck directly onto Simp's trailer. Please take a day to sort this out and let me know by this evening if you've got a plan. IF it must be moved, I'm headed to Columbus on Saturday.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks