• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Loud Hum Noise when coasting

cucvmule

collector of stuff
Dana 70 pinion bearing preload 20-40 inch pounds new
pinion nut torque 220-280 ft.lbs

If you are, should use new pinion nut go ahead and use blue Loctite anyway.

And after a heat cycle put on gloves and grab pinion and see if there is any movement in the bearing. You may have caught it in time.

For some reason I can not see your video so I can't comment any more.

Last edited:

erasedhammer

Dana 70 pinion bearing preload 20-40 inch pounds new
pinion nut torque 220-280 ft.lbs

If you are, should use new pinion nut go ahead and use blue Loctite anyway.

And after a heat cycle put on gloves and grab pinion and see if there is any movement in the bearing. You may have caught it in time.

For some reason I can not see your video so I can't comment any more.
Does the Dana 70 use shims or crush sleeve? Saw on another forum someone said Dana 70 uses shims

Chaski

So - Are you somehow uncertain if you replaced a crush sleeve?

I thought the only 1028s that had the Dana 70 were the dually ones.

cucvmule

collector of stuff
For the 1028A2 HD70 Dana Has pinion depth shim pack and pre load shim pack.
For 1028 Corporate 14 crush sleeve,or solid spacer with shims to set pre load. If pinion bearing is bad then damage occurs Quickly as Chaski has warned.

Heat is the big killer of axle assemblies, especially the pinion bearing when gear oil starts to be either lost, no lubricant, or breakdown of the gear oil, from heat , cooking it. The pinion is what usually goes first, from preload becoming no load.

erasedhammer

For the 1028A2 HD70 Dana Has pinion depth shim pack and pre load shim pack.
For 1028 Corporate 14 crush sleeve,or solid spacer with shims to set pre load. If pinion bearing is bad then damage occurs Quickly as Chaski has warned.

Heat is the big killer of axle assemblies, especially the pinion bearing when gear oil starts to be either lost, no lubricant, or breakdown of the gear oil, from heat , cooking it. The pinion is what usually goes first, from preload becoming no load.

My truck is a dually but just running single wheels.

I think I caught it. Only drove about 4 miles with it before the seal started leaking.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks