• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

new Guy MEP802A Battery charging question

RAM19258

I've looked through several threads on this issue but I'm still a little perplexed! I don't have a 24V charger so can I charge each battery separately with a 12V charger WITHOUT disconnecting the cables??? Thanks Folks.

jcollings

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Why not unhook and charge separate.? To be safe.
Do you have a Volt meter?
Test each battery separate should be 12 V should be able to charge connected but to be safe you can break the terminals

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

jcollings

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You take Volt meter test each battery separate should be 12 V on each battery While connected. I have charge mind that way with the disconnect switch off. but it is just as well to disconnect a battery terminal to break the circuit. I have genius chargers and battery minder chargers for both 12 and 24 V work pretty good.

Chainbreaker

I had the same question about leaving both batteries connected and the mfg of my 2 "Battery Minder 1500" units said it was OK to leave batteries connected in series as the charger/minder only sees what is BETWEEN its own charger leads. However, since I have a MEP-002a it has a known parasitic drain due to keeping capacitors charged up in the control box so I have a battery disconnect between the crossover + to - connection of the two batteries. So, either way I can charge while disconnected by having two Battery Minders or leave them connected if necessary.

Personally I like to use two 12V chargers. That way each battery gets exactly what it needs. If you have 2 different age batteries, or one is lightly sulfated and one that isn't it may require a different voltage/remedy...desulfation program, etc.

jcollings

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I also charge 24 V charger through the charging jump port on the side of the unit that's also a nice feature if you hook up the cable end that fits it.

DeadParrot

As far as the batteries are concerned, no issues leaving them connected provided you verify the polarity before connecting the chargers. Don't trust the cable colors. A red cable from the + terminal of one battery will likely still be red when it connects to the - terminal of the next battery. I charge the two batteries in my deuce at the same time and leave them connected. I have two old stupid 12v chargers.

Don't have a MEP002 so can't answer as to the wisdom of charging while the batteries are still connected to the generator.

kloppk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes - you can leave the batteries connected when you use two 12V battery chargers.
Be sure the chargers power plugs only have 2 prongs and not 3 and you'll be fine.
That's how I maintain the batteries in my 802. The two batteries are on separate 12V Battery Tenders 24/7.

I've used four 12 V battery chargers on a 48V solar battery bank (four 12V batteries in series) and the chargers worked just fine.

The reason I mention chargers with 3 pronged AC power plugs is that some chargers of that style have the negative charging lead connected to AC ground internally in the charger. If you were to use two chargers of that style the "magic smoke" will come out of the charger(s).
Ask me how I know. :shock:

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Like guyfang said, never remove the positive terminal first. Start with the negative terminal from the cable that goes to the block, not the one that goes between batteries, then next is the one between the batteries. Reason being if the ground is still hooked up and you accidentally touch a wrench from the positive terminal to ground, you're going to short the battery to ground. Bad for the battery, bad for the wrench, and bad for you as well, as the wrench will get hot pretty quickly. You don't want to do the one between the two batteries first because if the one battery is still connected to ground you can still short out 12V instead of 24. Not quite as spectacular as shorting 24V to ground, but still not good.
Hopefully that's not too confusing. Disconnecting this way applies to pretty much every generator or vehicle using a negative ground system (which is pretty much everything in the past 50 years unless it was made by the Brits)

jcollings

Steel Soldiers Supporter
EBay

I think that's the light duty one there is 1 that they use on military trucks that's heavy duty amp rating. and the lighter duty 1 usually used for they 24 v electric gun lug removal tool

Guyfang

Staff member
Like guyfang said, never remove the positive terminal first. Start with the negative terminal from the cable that goes to the block, not the one that goes between batteries, then next is the one between the batteries. Reason being if the ground is still hooked up and you accidentally touch a wrench from the positive terminal to ground, you're going to short the battery to ground. Bad for the battery, bad for the wrench, and bad for you as well, as the wrench will get hot pretty quickly. You don't want to do the one between the two batteries first because if the one battery is still connected to ground you can still short out 12V instead of 24. Not quite as spectacular as shorting 24V to ground, but still not good.
Hopefully that's not too confusing. Disconnecting this way applies to pretty much every generator or vehicle using a negative ground system (which is pretty much everything in the past 50 years unless it was made by the Brits)
I didn't have time to explain why, had to run out of the house. Just hoped the warning was good enough until I got back. I have seen two gen sets burn until they were scrap because someone did this. I once reached in to grab a cable someone else took off, and dropped. Cured me for life. ANYTHING with more then on battery is not your friend, if you do not start with Neg. Terminal, and work towards the Pos end.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks