• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce turn signal flasher

deuce.5

I was troubleshooting my turn signals today, I had no signals at all. I thought it could be a bad flasher, but it was even worse-the thing is flat missing in action! Can I wire in a 24V automotive flasher, or am I better off with the original style? Hard to hand signal in one of these suckers! (works good on the 'ol Shovelhead, though)

Deuce.5

MVtrucker

You'd be better off getting an original replacement rather than having to hack your wiring. The electronic flasher is usually mounted on the left fender splash pan under the hood.

Shovel, you have a shovel? Pan, 1953, here. Built it in '82 and still riding it.

Low-Tech-Redneck

Our flasher unit also went bad, killing our turn signals, you can get a new one, made by the same company that made the original from Saturn Surplus (or probably any other good surplus guy) and install it in 5 minutes. One plug connector and 2 screws Much easier than trying to retro-fit somthing

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The flashers made in the 1960's were built around a 40-50 amp SCR and could handle an overload long enough to make the circuit breaker trip. The new ones are made with low cost Radio Shack parts and can barely handle the cold filament inrush current, add trailer lights and you are asking for trouble.
Look for an old one, that's my advise. Or add a relay, let the flasher drive the relay, which in turn handles the lights.

deuce.5

Nice Panhead, Joe! I like 'em "old school". My bike is a '73 FLH that is currently living life as more of a bobber than a tourer. Good to see another rider on the forum! I think I will make a few calls to see if someone has the original flasher, I would like to keep the wiring intact if possible. Certainly explains why the signals didn't work, though! If anyone has one, or has seen one on Ebay, let me know.

Deuce.5

MVtrucker

That's a show piece, Deuce! I bent a little and went new school, sort of. I was going to get rid of my '89 Springer that I bought new, but after some mods, I love it. Leaving for Delaware on it in a little while and I sure hope the rain holds off. It took hours and hours to detail it after a recent run to Baltimore in the rain.
As to my ridged Pan, I rode it out of NJ to Buffalo and even to West Virginia. Locally, I know every bump in the roads!

Here's before and after pics. Well, almost after, I've added a few more goodies. Machine finished covers are now on it. I'll show my M151A2 so I can be a little on topic... My daughter and I did a complete, and I do mean complete, restoration to it. We call it "Two Timer" because it seemed that everything we did, we had to do twice.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks