• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Left front tire on M35A2 900x20s keeps going flat??

Hello all. I know I haven't been on here much, but I am totally stumped at what happened today.

I put two brand new t-hawks on my deuce about a year and a half ago. 2 weeks later I went out to the truck and the left front was flat on the rim. Took the wheel off broke it down and the tube seam was split right down the middle. Tube was dated 1995 I believe. So I removed that tube and put in one of the original tubes from the original tires (that tire said "the mohawk rubber company Akron Ohio" so I know it was very old. That tube was dated 1966). The old tube was thicker and heavier than the 1995 tube. So I figured it was stronger. Ok. That tire hasn't lost a single pound of air until earlier today. I was cleaning up around the house and was planning on taking the deuce out to a show later on. Walked past the deuce multiple times today all tires were fine. Went out to get dinner with my girl in my suburban just came home a little while ago and we pull up and see the front axle is tilted the the left side. We get out and the left front is flat on the rim. But we were just at the house an hour earlier, all tires were fine. I will be taking off and breaking down this tire tomorrow morning but I am very confused as to why the tire is flat again. I drive my deuce alot, I've had the truck for almost 3 years and bought it with 3,250 miles it now has 22,766 miles. I bought a new truck and had to do some work to it to get it road Worthy so I have not driven the deuce in 2 weeks. Started her up and let her run earlier today started like new and ran great. So my question is what the **** is causing the tire to go flat?

I will check in the morning and post info and pics of my findings but like I said the tire has been fine for one and a half years then all of a sudden completely flat in an hour.

Thanks in advance guys.

Also my truck leans to the right rear since I bought it, a tree fell on it way back in 1971 when sitting at Letterkenny Army Depot where it was built, the right rear spring is bent, checked all leafs not one broken just bent at the trunnion, but it's been like that for as long as I've had it. I'm telling you this because that means the least amount of load bearing weight is on the left front. And in my first post I apologise for the language, the word that is astericked- out is h-e- double hockey sticks forgot I can't write that so my apologies.

I have another spare ready to go mounted to the truck but I know these tires can go until you see the cords because they are tubes. For steers I don't like to go past the wear bars but for drives I'll go till I see the cords. Maybe the tube is just too old (gotta be over 50 years old)

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Back in my younger, less disciplined days, I learned of a trick to mess with the local bully’s car/truck. Remove valve stem cap. Insert small pebble into cap. Lightly install cap back on valve. Repeat with other wheels as necessary. Guaranteed to deflate a tire in very short order! Now I never participated in such behavior :twisted:, but I sure knew who I would have targeted!

Good morning guys. Gonna go grab breakfast then head back home and get started on the deuce. Jeff, I know of this trick I have done this before to someone who very well deserved it back when I was going to school in Pennsylvania. But last night that was actually the first thing I checked, no pebble in there.

Will post my findings and pics if I find something out of the ordinary.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hello all. I know I haven't been on here much, but I am totally stumped at what happened today.
I put two brand new t-hawks on my deuce about a year and a half ago. 2 weeks later I went out to the truck and the left front was flat on the rim. Took the wheel off broke it down and the tube seam was split right down the middle. Tube was dated 1995 I believe. So I removed that tube and put in one of the original tubes from the original tires (that tire said "the mohawk rubber company Akron Ohio" so I know it was very old. That tube was dated 1966).
I would never use a 50+ year old tube in a tire! Especially in a front wheel. New tubes don't cost that much.

I would never use a 50+ year old tube in a tire! Especially in a front wheel. New tubes don't cost that much.
I know it sounds wrong man. But I don't trust all this new stuff seems all the older stuff works so much better. Except for this situation.
Like old tools are way tougher than new cheesy metal crap

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
Think planned engineering obsolescence and that will scare you every time.....
This or that Truck was one of many different flavors along with the tanks and APC's and retrievers,
tracked and wheeled.
Think about the guys, lots and lots, and lots, of guys, that kept all our stuff ready to go.
Could be air dropped whenever wanted.

Now think about those hard working guys that almost knew by heart all the TM books on that shelf,
that You have not even did read yet.

In there, one will find an Army that is is supplied. It is to die for.

1969 Germany, they would just put a complete new wheel assembly on her
and go onto next job to keep the battalion READY. Just bury the old one...It is FUBAR
Have to go work on the tanks...........

Last edited:
I wish there was a like button for these posts because alot of you all have very good wise advice. Thanks guys. Some things came up today still haven't had a chance to pull the wheel but heading home now gonna take a look at it before dinner time. Will post back with what I find.

Hey guys so real simple, I chocked the rear wheels and jacked up the left front. Pulled the valve core out core is good. Aired up to 30-40psi then put the core back in. Heard air leaking already. Sprayed core no bubbles. Then sprayed where the valve stem goes into the tube, boom. There's the leak. So I gotta dismantle this wheel and replace the tube. Looked with a flashlight it looks rusty so the seal where the valve goes in is leaking. I'll leave it up on the jack stands so it doesn't hurt the tire for today, but will have to either put another wheel/ tire on or replace this tube. Is there a better style tube for these? Looks like this one is heated or glued into the tube. From the rust I'm guessing it has a ferrous metal ring around the end of the stem, do they make ones that have a brass or aluminum ring so it doesn't rust? Or stainless?

And thanks again for the responses guys. Much appreciated. I know now this was a stupid issue to make a thread about just thought it was weird it happened twice on the same rim, I guess I was just unlucky.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks