• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What are the Tips for buying a MTVR ?

jmb6741

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey, I was thinking about buying a MTVR and wanted to know from people that had them already if there is anything in particular to be on the lookout for?? I am fairly well versed in used MV’s but these are a bit pricey for the ole guessing game! Thanks in advance for any info.

JonM934

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I lot of the trucks I have looked at and bid on have non working horns and heaters. In fact, my truck has both of the problems. I pay attention to the oil pressure, if it is below 25 psi then I don't want that truck. I don't mind if the heater and horn don't work. Once I fix mine, I will post here how I did it.

I also don't want a truck that has a flat tire. I know some people will say "Oh, you can use the CTIS to help with that" but I do not want to mess with it in their yard. Some GP places are nice and some are not. I buy a fair amount of stuff from the Utah GP and now I know them and they know me so I can do things that I should not. BUT the first time I was there they did not want me to enter their yard, they said they would bring it to me and that I should wait outside the fence. I see they do that to other people too. But now I can go inside.

So I am not sure what they will allow me to do when I go to pick up my truck. They may say I have 5 minutes to get it out of there. Or they may let me have the 2 hours I need to go over everything before I drive it. I don't know so I am erroring on the side of "You have 5 minutes to get it out of here." So I want a truck that is driveable.

I also do not want a truck that is leaking. There are a lot of trucks being sold so don't fall in love with one that is leaking.

For the reason listed above, I want a truck that they started and it ran. I don't think they will give me time to repair the truck if it will not start.

I am a little bit fearful of the engine blow by if it is a lot. I think mine was listed as "minor" blow by. I also have an additive that may fix the blowby so I am not too worried about minor blow by.

I think my seats were a little bit ripped but this to me is another thing that is easy to fix.

Mine has the broken radiator overflow jug but I see many like that and I think it is an easy fix once I get the truck.

I was going to purchase a m934, hence my screen name, but after some research I found out that these trucks are newer but also a LOT MORE RELIABLE.

My business partner in this truck is active military and is a Sergeant. He gave me advice about all the military trucks plus I have read a lot. I believe these these MK23 trucks are much more reliable than the older trucks. He is in South Korea now and driving (riding because of his rank) Oshkosh vehicles there. It looks like an MRAP but I don't think it is.

One feature that I really like about these 7 Tons is that they have the OBDII connector so you can see what is going on with the truck. It is the same thing you have in your car or truck that they use when your check engine light come on. They will use a code reader to read the code that then tells you what is wrong. The MTVR trucks have the same connector. I do not have my truck yet, but I think a standard code reader will be able to read some of the common codes. The trucks may have some "special" or "secret" codes that will not come up or will just display a number and then you have to look up the code manually. BUT at least you will be able to get a code to tell you what is wrong.

So I think that many of the 7 Tons being sold by GP are good trucks. Most do not leak, most have little blow by, most have good tires, most will start, run, and can be driven.

The prices at the time of this post are from $10,000 to $20,000 and I think the new price to the military was around $250,000 for the non-armored ones.

Feel free to ask me anything else.

Jon

MEAT

Thanks for the info on the MTVR. As luck would have it my Grandson who is in the Navy CB's stationed out in California . He has driven the MTVR's and right now he's in school and learning how to do the maintenance on them, I told him that I'am thinking about buy one. He told me that he will send me maintenence manuals on them along with other items , so I can start getting familiar with them , and when I get ready to buy one he would go and look at them to make sure I'm getting a good one and drive it back to texas for me !

Last edited:

blhar15

If you can get maintenance and parts manuals on these, that would be great. I think they are all on CD though. This is something that is missing for MTVR owners.

Terra1936

Hey, I was thinking about buying a MTVR and wanted to know from people that had them already if there is anything in particular to be on the lookout for?? I am fairly well versed in used MV’s but these are a bit pricey for the ole guessing game! Thanks in advance for any info.
What is the cab difference between the M900 and the MK series? Is it roomier? Same Can the drivers seat be moved back any further? I read quieter?

JonM934

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I do not have any experience with driving or owning the 5 ton but I can tell you a few things. The seats are almost the same. There is a driver seat and a bench seat for two passengers. The bench opens and has storage inside it. The drivers seat is an air ride seat which is nice. There is no choice for a hardtop or soft top cab like the 5 ton. The cab is all aluminium and mine is noisy. Mine is noisy because some of the gaskets are worn out or missing. My doors do not close all the way and so they have a large gap which makes some noise. Also, the cab will break down to a short height for shipping and I think the gaskets in my truck are missing because I get water and wind though the hinge points. The heater in my truck works good now. The electrical system has circuit breakers and not fuses. There is a hatch in the cab for a gunner and they stand on the bench seat while shooting.

The drivers seat has an adjustment for up and down plus I guess it will move back and forth but mine is stuck and it will not adjust. I do have the handle to release the seat to move back and forth but the seat does not move. I will fix it later.

The 7 ton truck is easy to drive and it handles very well.

Mustangsud

I have some electrical gremlins in ours, and it's tough without a diagram or any manuals. The horn was not working, so all I did was pop the button off and reassemble the connectors, and now it works great. Now I'm trying to track down why the right rear taillight comes on when I turn on the battery cut-off.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks