• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What can cause the dipstick to get pushed out?

US6x4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It doesn't seem to matter how tightly I compress the rubber base of the oil dipstick (NHC-250), it continually pushes out about 3/8".

My first thought is blow-by or a restricted road draft tube but what else can cause this to happen?

Could the rubber be hardened and not grabbing the tube anymore? What have you all observed on your rigs?

US6x4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I need to clean that filter for sure. Is that rubber part available from Cummins or elsewhere?

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
I need to clean that filter for sure. Is that rubber part available from Cummins or elsewhere?
You brought it up, see TM, goto parts target and use part number and or NSN or FSN and figure it out.
We want you to post what it is you found that corrected the predicament.
There is much knowledge here in the SS database, you could add to that................
We like pictures too and not with tap a whatever either.
at least use the paperclip thingie?

US6x4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Those complete dipsticks are cheaper than I expected. Cleaning the draft tube is free so I'll try that first.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It doesn't seem to matter how tightly I compress the rubber base of the oil dipstick (NHC-250), it continually pushes out about 3/8".

My first thought is blow-by or a restricted road draft tube but what else can cause this to happen?

Could the rubber be hardened and not grabbing the tube anymore? What have you all observed on your rigs?

Yes to both. A hard stopper can cause it and/or high CC pressure. Try a new stopper first.

US6x4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, I still haven't gotten a new dipstick yet but I attempted to clean out the breather cap and all the internals are missing. The gasket, the 4 screens, and the baffle are all gone so it wasn't a clogged breather problem...

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Let me see if I can find a p/n for the rubber. What was common practice was to buy 2, cut one in half and install the in tact one first, then the lower half of the other stopper. When you put it in, DO NOT tighten it until the screw stops, that is over tightening it. Turn it until there is slight resistance on it then stop.

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
Well, I still haven't gotten a new dipstick yet but I attempted to clean out the breather cap and all the internals are missing. The gasket, the 4 screens, and the baffle are all gone so it wasn't a clogged breather problem...
It was designed to be minor backpressure item
Perhaps put all the missing pieces back

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks