• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Oil Pressure Regulator/Spin-on filters problem solved.

Menaces Nemesis

"Little Black Truck" Conservator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Posting this just for reference in case anyone else winds up having a similar problem...

Short version is; Seems a bad regulator was allowing high spikes in pressure, damaging spin-on filters, and causing long oil pressure build times on cold starts.

I have the Jatonka spin-on oil filter conversions, but didn't understand why my oil pressure still took 10-15 seconds to start moving the needle on my mechanical gauge, then it would spike, and literally bounce the needle at max until the engine warmed up a bit. Once warmed up, oil pressure was on the high side, but still within stated limits (75 psi max, cruising down the highway). I'd changed the oil and filters in the truck several times, but frequently still had this lag to build oil pressure. I doubted it had anything to do with the spin-on conversions themselves, but emailed Jatonka (John Tennis) and asked if anyone has had a similar experience, and if a cause was found. John said no, but suspected the oil pressure regulator might be the problem despite pressure being within limits when warmed up (Thanks John).

I pulled off my pressure regulator, and started studying. Found out there is an early-model regulator, and a late-model. My regulator housing was the later type, but had been cobbled together with an early-model regulator spring and plug. Not having much confidence in the regulator, I called White Owl and ordered a new regulator assembly, complete with late-model housing, plungers, springs, and plugs (Thanks George). Installed the new regulator. Oil pressure no longer spiked and bounced the gauge needle, but still took about 10 seconds to start building... dang. Despite the filters being good quality WIX units, I suspected that maybe the pressure spikes allowed by the old regulator may have somehow damaged or disabled the anti-drainback components of the spin-on filters, allowing the filters to drain back into the case, and subsequently causing the oil pressure to still take so long to build. Seems my hunch was right... I changed the oil and filters, and now my pressure starts building in about 3 seconds from a cold start, never goes below 25 psi, and never gets above 65 psi even when cold... YAY!

Oil Pressure Regulator; TM 9-2815-210-34-2-2, pages 4-197 thru 4-206...
https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?164904-TM-2815-210-34-2-2-Engine-Multifuel-LD-465-1-LD-465-1C-LDT-465-1C-LDS-465-1

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks