• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Engine swap

Section8

I know the Dodge 318 swap is common.
I know 4bts have been done.(way to pricey just for a motor)
Detriot 353s are cool however way to loud.
Sooooo..
I have been toying with the idea of a Ford (gasp) 6.9 or 7.3 IDI with a 5 speed.
Checking on specs on the net, the block is 30 inches long on these particular engines. Smalles diesel engine Ford makes.
This leaves 4inches to spare to the radiator, according to my measurement from firewall to inside of radiator.
Yes i know this will require fabing engine mounts and custom drive shaft to transfer case.
Concerns are cooling the diesel.
In all my searches i cant find any reference on other swaps, 353, 4bt, 318 as to whether the stock radiator will keep things cool enough.
Any thoughts concerns or other suggestions?!

cucvmule

collector of stuff
I would swap in a last forever 318. Build to be a torque, grunt type engine. In my opinion the 318 is one of the most underrated engines ever for dependability. Oh the stories I could tell. Poly head A engine for the time frame or later 60's to early 70's LA engine for easier engine, parts acquisition. Carter 2 barrel a newer style camshaft maybe headers or not.

Yep a mild 318 build, That's The Ticket.

cucvmule

collector of stuff
The 7.3 is another good choice but heavy pig iron on the front end will make the truck front heavy, and require a large radiator. I do like the idea.

What year is the M37 and how are you going to use the truck?

Last edited:

OutpostM37

I would swap in a last forever 318. Build to be a torque, grunt type engine. In my opinion the 318 is one of the most underrated engines ever for dependability. Oh the stories I could tell. Poly head A engine for the time frame or later 60's to early 70's LA engine for easier engine, parts acquisition. Carter 2 barrel a newer style camshaft maybe headers or not.

Yep a mild 318 build, That's The Ticket.
X2 on this. Chrysler made 80 buzzillion of these engines. A nice RV cam and you are good to go. Here is a friends M37 with a 318.

318 in M37 (1).jpg

nattieleather

I've fitted a 6.2 GM diesel in mine and when I get it all built it will have a 6.5 GEP motor in it with a 700R4 trans. Should move good both on and off road. And it will be turbo also.

Section8

I would love to use my M37 ad a daily to work and back truck. Half hour drive each way plus farm grunt work and the odd cruise in to the big city 2 hours away.
My truck is a complete 1953. Only thing i think i am missing is the tool rack on the tailgate.
I am still looking for inner windshield frames as mine are rusted through pretty good.
Think i am kinda off the diesel thing purely because of the coolant issue and weight.
I am also looking at a Ford 351w with 5 speed, for the simple fact i can get one for free or an inline 300.
The inline 300 is a little to long though, i think.

cwc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
For a daily driver, fuel injection is nice. Since a 318 fits, I thought of a 318 from a 90s Grand Cherokee with overdrive automatic and transfer case. But it looks like a M37 has the front driveshaft on the right side, so that would eliminate a lot of drivetrain combos unless you swapped the front axle.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

cucvmule

collector of stuff
I owned an 79 Grand Wagoneer that had 401, Hydromatic and quad-trac with what acted like lockers but maybe just tight posi's. Green with wood panels and tan interior. Even had factory aluminum wheels, 6 lug. Paid 600$ in 90 and should of kept it and did a rebody to a 37 or 715.

Another one that got away. Got 400 for it, heavy pig, and the guy used the parts for a jeep. Memories

But anyways, the adapter for the trans may or bellhousing on trans may bolt up to the 37-715. Maybe someone knows for sure. There has to be one left somewhere.

Section8

I have a line on a sbc 350 for 100 bucks. Needs a rebuild but still...
318s are around for 300+ but i dont really care about keeping everything Dodge.
It is more about what i can afford on a homeless mans budget! LOL.
I do plan on swapping axles eventually however if it does go vroom there is no point in looking at axles.
Any ideas what a CDN 250 is worth?
Have had a few people asking to get my original motor and possible tranny but dont exactly want to give it away.

zak

If memory serves me I think they only made around 5000 of the Canadian Model M-37, with the bigger engine and better transmission( my opinion). Save this one and buy a cheap daily driver

Section8

I would love to "save" the engine but it is not an option. I am going to do a swap one way or anothet. I am wanting an engine i dont have to hunt for parts for or have to special order them from the states.
Sooooo?.
Whats one worth.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks