• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Towing 5-ton with running engine

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am trying to get our M51 to our blacksmith workshop to make an exhibition on 30 year cold war. Engine is running but brakes are not ok and I do not have veteran plates yet. And to scared to drive the truck solo without knowing 100% the brakes will not fail.

If I have the engine running, can I tow the truck with a similar or larger size modern Tatra truck WITHOUT pulling the drive shafts? Distance is about 11 miles, with one steep hill to climb.

The pulling I can arrange for free, the alternative would be a lowboy which would cost me.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Yes. Transfer case in neutral and it's all fine. Even the engine turned off isnt gonna matter. Even out weighed just go slow with the towing truck. Hopefully with a towbar

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
mostly they work with single tow bars in Europe. Towing with chain without good brakes does not sound like good idea. Maybe pushing the truck would be an alternative, easier to keep the combo straight?

Last edited:

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is there a driver in the towed vehicle? If that is the case it should be no problem to keep the towed vehicle in line with the tow vehicle. As long as the tow bar is strong enough to not collapse and the tow vehicle can stop the towed vehicle, there should be no problem. A U.S. military A frame tow bar is probably best.

Good luck.

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Tow bar is single, towing truck probably a Tatra truck, not sure which one yet, I will be sitting in the M51 with running engine and without brakes sweating or getting a heart attack from stress.

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I got stuck this winter because my brake system was open to the air and therefore my sprag did not engage, so basically I had a 6x4! Does that changes the story, making it easier if the engine is running?

Anyway, engine might not be running after all; radiator is not OK and having an air system completely open to the outside and a compressor basically running max speed in open air without building up pressure does not sound like a good idea either.

Question. If the sprag does not engage if there is no air pressure, does that means that a truck with non-running engine also has an un-engaged sprag, that is, is running as a 6x4?

Tomorrow I will hear how much towing or lowboy will set me back.

Last edited:

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
An air actuated sprag is out (not engaged) normally, and it takes air pressure to move it (and keep it in). That is why the light is included on the switch, to remind the driver that it is on. HTH.

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The sprag relieves tension between a rear end trying to over-run the front. It's like a 16 to 17 ratio on gears in the TC and the sprag relieves the difference. It's a one way clutch...in fact it is two one way clutches, one relieves one direction and one relieves the other. It's on the front axle output.

I don't believe towing with the front driveshaft should be done, but it will let you know real quickly if the sprag is in the wrong position. I would just take the front driveshaft off.

I've made my 2 person setup with chain going through heavy tube or pipe and bolting it securely. There is some give, so start slow and roll to a stop....I've done longer than 11 mile with that rig.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks