• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M818 as a first truck - opinions

InTheMitten74

Opportunity to get a M818 at a reasonable price.

My question would be, as a first truck for myself, would this be to much of a burden as a first truck to get into?

It runs and drives, state title... etc but, needs some TLC.

I know the M939 series are the newer but, was wondering if parts/maintenance on the M809 series is harder because of them being older/obsolete?

Basically, should I get my feet wet on something newer??

Been wanting to get into a military truck for a long time and I would want the experience to be as "painless" as possible... for my sake from the wife's POV if you know what I mean, lol!

Thanks all!!

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If anything, the older trucks will generally tend to be more simple to maintain. I think an M818 is a fine truck for a first. But, I would also suggest you look at smaller trucks unless you have your heart set on a big truck. M151A2s are really nice, although they are not as impressive as a 5 ton. Another option would be an M35A2 or a variant.

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
M818 is a good first truck. They are simple mechanically but, 5 ton parts are heavy. I like the power steering and the larger brakes of the M809 series trucks are better than the M35A2 in my opinion even though they are both air over hydraulic.

The later M939 series trucks have power steering, automatic transmission and full air brakes which I like. They are easy to drive, stop good, and I like the automatic transmission since I'm tired of shifting gears in stop and go traffic. Just remember, 5 ton parts are heavy. I would avoid CTIS because it's just one more thing to break.

The newer FMTV etc. trucks have electronics and are more complex.

If you don't have to have a big truck, consider one of the mid '80s Chevy trucks. I have a M1028A2 and its easy and cheap to maintain. There are also numerous jeep variants to consider.

Good luck.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Also depending on if you are a big guy or not you may not be comfortable in a 809 or deuce cab. The 939 has a good bit more room. I am 6ft4 240 and I can spend all day in my cab with an air ride seat.

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you can fit comfortably in the cab, and like shifting gears, an M818 is a fun truck to drive. Biggest issue for me is that top speed with 11.00 tires is about 49-53 mph. But unless you plan to bob it or haul a trailer of some kind, a tractor may not be the truck you would find useful.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
From a parts availability/maintenance standpoint there's no substantial difference between M809series and M939series.

The M939series have substantially better brakes. The M809series doesn't have a transfer case that self destructs if you put it in low reverse.

I like the manual transmission on the M809s better than the allison auto in the M939s.

I like the tractor length wheelbase on the 818s. Add a short bed and they're really nice.

The brakes on the M809series are simple and straightforward, but they absolutely demand that you keep an eye on them. A single point of failure can cause you to lose all brakes.

Top speed on singles is adequate in either M809series or M939series, with the M939series being about 8% faster.

M809series are generally less expensive to acquire.

I own both currently, and I've owned multiple samples of each in the past. I don't see a substantial advantage of one series over the other as a "first truck". The very phrasing of "first truck" implies others will be coming...

20190602_124920.jpg

20170918_120157.jpg

20190729_171729.jpg

Last edited:

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You don't say what you would use the truck for. The shorter length of the 818 gives it a bit more maneuverability, but it's still a large truck. Myself...I would like a 4x4 that starts as an 818. One of the nice things especially for towing is the manual trailer air control.

But if you have never had a truck this large, you might want to consider a smaller deuce...maybe a bobbed deuce.

818 tranny has OD where the Allison is 1/1.

Last edited:

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
You don't say what you would use the truck for. The shorter length of the 818 gives it a bit more maneuverability, but it's still a large truck. Myself...I would like a 4x4 that starts as an 818. One of the nice things especially for towing is the manual trailer air control.

But if you have never had a truck this large, you might want to consider a smaller deuce...maybe a bobbed deuce.

809 transfer case is direct vs the 939 is a higher OD than the 5spd so basically that negates that

Brutacus

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As a first Military truck, a M818 is a good starter into the hobby. My first Military truck is also a M818. It has been a learning experience. The burden of ownership hasn't been as bad I thought. Although mine was in rough shape, I've gotten it pretty close to where I want it. As mentioned, any 5 ton parts are heavy, and the parts I need have been pretty easy to find. For the maintenance, I'd recommend downloading the tech manual PDF's, and READ them. A lot can be done an M818. All in all, for a first truck I'd say go for it if you want something big.

GEDC0022.jpg

HPIM2328.jpg

My Trailer 2.jpg

InTheMitten74

Just to drive overall and maybe bob it one day. I would hate to ruin a super nice truck by cutting it down.
The one I found has had the fifth wheel plate taken off already and was retrofitted with a spray tank (which is gone now).

fasttruck

Make sure you get QQ historic plates for this to avoid getting a CDL and as USDOT number. Feds define anything RATED (not registered) over 26000# to be "commercial" unless you get an exemption like historic, farm use, or RV status. Government looks on commercial use as an ATM for them to loot and burden with all kinds of pesky compliance issues. I put 40,000 miles on 1 M818WW in service and everything I hauled was heavy: forklifts, APCs, M 551 tanks, bulldozers, other trucks and once a 19,000# rock. Grease is cheap. Air is free. Parts and tires cost money. Be guided accordingly. Get an operators manual, organizational manual, and a lubrication order. The relevant TMs are 9-2320-260-10,20, and 20 LO which are available in paper or on line. I did the 40K miles with just tires, brakes, and batteries. Same clutch and driveline. But subject vehicle was exposed to, by military standards, a high state of maintenance. You can get a M821 trailer from Gov Planet in Ft. Dix and go the the annual show in Sussex when you are done.

fasttruck

5 tons also have power steering. M35 deuces do not. M818s fit into evolution between the invention of the wheel, but before the ox cart.

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If not kept in check by the bride, that very well may happen!
How about the neighbors? Sometimes in tight neighborhoods people make anonymous calls to the zoning and such. Do you have plenty of room to locate it so others don't get upset at your new hobby? Distance usually makes the size less of an issue. Do you have a covered home for it...green iron likes a roof.

Go for it.

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've had a M818 and it was fun to drive, easy to fix, but as everyone here has stated, everything is heavy! The other thing I didn't like about the M818 is that it'll beat the tar out of you without any weight on the back.

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
M818 6x6 5 Ton Military Tractor Truck (TR-500-52)

National Stock Number (NSN): 2320-00-050-8984, 2320000508984
Federal Supply Class (FSC): 2320 (Trucks and Truck Tractors, Wheeled)
National Item Identification Number (NIIN): 000508984
Federal Stock Number (FSN): 2320-050-8984, 23200508984

Been wanting to get into a military truck for a long time and I would want the experience to be as "painless" as possible... for my sake from the wife's POV if you know what I mean, lol! "

If you are going to do this than the Wife must be onboard so to speak$

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As a first truck the 818 may be a pretty darned good place to start, they are simple, reliable, good parts availability, you just about cant go wrong with a Cummins and if you have problems on the road any Cummins service center will have parts for it. The other thing is you will most certainly learn to love TM manuals, after I bought the truck a full set of TMs would be the second thing I would buy. The 3rd thing you may need depending on your experience with TRUCKS is some BIG tools, very little on any truck like the 818 is small and light weight HAHAHA, you heard about the Military coffee cup holder that weighed 120 pounds, its not far from the truth.
The 939 series is a whole lot more like driving a regular truck, they are comfortable, pretty quiet, the automatic trans if you follow generally one main rule will be pretty trouble free, if you going to use either truck offroad I would recommend looking for a winch for it, reason being in most cases your going to be the biggest truck in the group, you get stuck its going to take 3 or 4 of your buddies pickups to stand a chance to pull you out! Its the price you pay for being the coolest guy on the trail!
Good luck
Karl

InTheMitten74

How about the neighbors? Sometimes in tight neighborhoods people make anonymous calls to the zoning and such. Do you have plenty of room to locate it so others don't get upset at your new hobby? Distance usually makes the size less of an issue. Do you have a covered home for it...green iron likes a roof.

Go for it.
No problems there!! We don't have any neighbors... well, nobody on top of us anyways. Live on 35 wooded acres, pole barn etc so, I don't think anybody will care.

InTheMitten74

M818 6x6 5 Ton Military Tractor Truck (TR-500-52)

National Stock Number (NSN): 2320-00-050-8984, 2320000508984
Federal Supply Class (FSC): 2320 (Trucks and Truck Tractors, Wheeled)
National Item Identification Number (NIIN): 000508984
Federal Stock Number (FSN): 2320-050-8984, 23200508984

Been wanting to get into a military truck for a long time and I would want the experience to be as "painless" as possible... for my sake from the wife's POV if you know what I mean, lol! "

If you are going to do this than the Wife must be onboard so to speak$
Thanks for the above info.

She's good with it... just making sure that if my choice is an M818, I won't be looking to the far dark corners of the earth for "simple" parts.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks