• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M818 as a first truck - opinions

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
M818 or M813 is a good truck. First might be pushing it if you have no experience in big trucks. I fell into my 813 after having two Deuces and liked driving it. The power steering was great and the sound of the Cummins is nice even with the muffler.

The only downside is that I sold it.

Oh yeah, and everything is heavy.

As for fitting in the cab. Not an issue for me as big as I am.

fasttruck

Parts ? reference post 20: whadda ya want ? When buying tires and tubes try to get ones that are less than 5 years old. Most tire shops will not mount tires that are over 10 years old so you would have to do that yourself. The Army bought the tires and put them in a depot warehouse for 10 years. Then the surplus tire dealers come along and buy them and put them in their warehouse for 5 years before they sell it to you. I bought a tire from an Army surplus dealer that was brand new, i.e. never used, but 19 years old. I am wondering how long this will last even though I will not load it to capacity.

fasttruck

You can get almost any part for this from the dealers on this site or on line from Memphis Equipment or Zinzer in Ohio and others.

InTheMitten74

M923A2 engine fan question

In my quest to find that first truck, I've come across a M923A2. The seller sent a video of it running and I noticed the fan was not moving. Do these have an electronic clutch that engages when the temp hits a certain number?

Passed on the M818 I had previously posted about. Too much under dash electrical had been toyed with and the signal indicator was not functioning because of the hacked wiring . Plus they extended the frame to fit the water tank. Not a super big deal but, want something that hasn't been modified aside from being bobbed.

Thanks all!

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
They are not engage on an A2 truck until 200 205 when the shutterstat opens/closes. it uses air to operate and a simple valve

InTheMitten74

What would be items that I should pay attention for when reviewing this M923A2 for possible purchase?

Basically, what are the red flags to watch for?

If there is a post already here on SS, please point me to it.

The truck does show 29,000 miles but, I understand that can be false more less...

Any and all pointers appreciated.

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Cracks in tires from setting on flats (CTIS) or egg shaped (GY AT-2 bad about that). Does it run? Are brakes working? Does it build air to 115 or so. Is the bed (check springs too) badly dented from hauling heavy loads (physical appearance). Does the tranny shift right? Has the TC went in reverse low and cracked it (look at the case). Open the battery box and look for shorts. I had one with terminals nearly melted off hitting the bottom of the seat. Most need new batteries. I suggest 8D bus batteries (x2) once you own it, for Michigan.

The 923A2 is a good truck, but they should have fixed the backing in low reverse TC problem. Once you jettison the CTIS and have new orings and seals put in tires, they may stay up. Good luck.

71DeuceAK

Welcome to the hobby and to Steel Soldiers!

If you've got a lead on an M923A2, go for it! If she is bone stock and isn't bobbed, don't bob her- it ruins originality value to collectors.

They are really nice trucks and fun to drive. If the basic maintenance, which isn't even all that expensive, is taken care of, she may very well outlive you. Just don't back up in low range reverse, don't just refill the transmission with ATF, and make sure you adhere to the correct order of shutdown procedures and you should be OK.

As far as a first truck...go read back through some of my old posts! The only vehicle this 21 year old college student here has ever owned has been an M928A1. Still need to pick her up and get her running.

fasttruck

Reference post 30 and transmission fluid. Get the applicable lubrication order (along with an operators manual, organizational maintenance manual and parts book) and read it carefully. Some LOs authorize either Dextron or 10 weight oil (OE10) for the transmission but only one or the other. No mixing allowed. A data plate on the dashboard lists the applicable publication numbers. Different models of these trucks have different engines and other details. By reading the TMs you will learn that there are 4 air drain valves on the right side of the truck. If they are numbered 1-4 from the top down the order to drain them is 3,4,1,2. And so on.

fasttruck

Also by reading the reading you will find out where the transmission dip stick is hidden on the original trucks, a thing many military operators did not know when the trucks were new. Or what the air brake emergency release valve on the right side of the dashboard does which many people who were supposed to know didn't. Or how to cage the rear brakes or recognize whether the the caging pins or present or missing. 5 tons have more devices to operate than smaller military trucks or POVs possess.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks