• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 transmission service.. hopefully a bad joke?

kallisti5

Noticed some leakage from my transmission and the gaskets were looking pretty old.
Pulled pan to the standard lovely bath of ATF. (anyone have any mods adding a drain to the TH400? The "controlled spill" never seems to go well on the best of days)

Anyway, went to check the magnet for metal debris and found an entire freaking bushing.

Common issue? Bad joke of the last person in here?

IMG_20190731_121357.jpg

IMG_20190731_121408.jpg

IMG_20190731_122443.jpg

nyoffroad

It's a bit late to order a drain plug kit but NAPA might have it in stock, as far as the bushing goes it dosn't look familier but I'm no tranny expert, could be a FO waiting for the D
FOD =Forgn Object Damage

kallisti5

Cleaned the bushing up.. zero damage and it's only 1/2" OD. Maybe something from the speedo gear assembly or some other supplemental thing? Watching a rebuild of a TH400 and really not seeing any *bushings* that small involved in the core transmission functionality.

IMG_20190731_153822.jpg

Last edited:

tourus

looks to me like the filter bushing the is for the bolt that goes with a filter. I have had several 400's apart there is nothing like that inside....

kallisti5

looks to me like the filter bushing the is for the bolt that goes with a filter. I have had several 400's apart there is nothing like that inside....
HA, ok.. that's a good possibility and would make a lot more sense. I guess the joke's on me for missing it fall :?
I went ahead and ordered cucvrus's pan, I'll spend the $20 to avoid having to degrease and paint the stock one.

On a side note, noticed this while giving it a once-over...

IMG_20190731_181553.jpg

The damage looks limited to the cover of the flywheel.. so guessing not an immediate priority. (seems solid enough)

Thanks for the help as usual, making sure I improve things and not make em' worse :)

Matt5

Banned
I went ahead and ordered cucvrus's pan, I'll spend the $20 to avoid having to degrease and paint the stock one.
Do post back with how low the quality it is if you were in the rust belt I would give that pan 3 years... $20 after market pan vs a o2 sensor bung, and a little welding?... I'll keep stock... That pan also IMO is useless for a drain and refill (no drop) as it will not drain the bottom of the pan as the threads stick into the pan. Fine for making dropping the pan easier but... I change fluid once a year... o2 bung (machined down) + welded in = flush with the bottom on the pan so to me... getting all that crap off the bottom...

As said looks like the spacer so please ignore the "omg better rebuild it now" if that is how the pan and magnet came out... that thing is mint... I never ever have dropped the pan to anything that clean like EVER lol... that's a good tranny looking at the pan.
As far as the fly wheel cover, make sure those are cracks... clean it off and check, I thought the same thing one day... turned out every last one (read like 15) had the same lines in them... was like a casting line...

Also... *sigh* the fly wheel cover does give support to things... I mean it's bolted to both the motor and tranny... so... the bolt spacer = rebuild before it blows up... possible cracks in a item adding strength = will never hurt a thing... Okay.... GL...

cucvrus

I thought those were standard issue! :D
True. But to me that is opportunity knocking. I like getting filthy and fixing things. Laying on cardboard in the dirt is like icing on the cake. I had a job here this week for a non military Chevy plow truck that needed a lot of work. Needless to say when I looked it over and quoted the cost it went back out the driveway on the trailer. This guy said minor work. This was worse than Mr. Rusty on his worst day. If the oil leaks are all the way up front they do provide a good rustproofing to the underside.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
FD3EC744-64F1-4BA3-91F5-F4CEC3CBC3BE.jpg

Factory Pan off a HMMWV.
It was already installed when I bought the truck.

Shouldn't be too hard to find one.

That is the factory finish.
No spray paint
Picture was right after I serviced transmission

kallisti5

I got that new stamped steel pan in this afternoon. 5 seconds of looking at it and I decided to keep the original one :)

That steel one is over and inch shallower losing a lot of ATF capacity. The factory pan has a nice metal ridge molded into it all the way around (including around the bolt holes). The steel one just has ridges stamped in-between the bolt holes. (i'm sure it's fine, but meh)
Anyway. A quick trip to the auto part store and I have a plug added to my factory pan for $5. A bit of Red RTV on the outside, some red thread lock on the outer bolt, some blue threadlock on the plug. Good to go.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I got that new stamped steel pan in this afternoon. 5 seconds of looking at it and I decided to keep the original one :)

That steel one is over and inch shallower losing a lot of ATF capacity. The factory pan has a nice metal ridge molded into it all the way around (including around the bolt holes). The steel one just has ridges stamped in-between the bolt holes. (i'm sure it's fine, but meh)
Anyway. A quick trip to the auto part store and I have a plug added to my factory pan for $5. A bit of Red RTV on the outside, some red thread lock on the outer bolt, some blue threadlock on the plug. Good to go.
If it is a inch shallower it is for a 2 wheel drive truck .

jholler

Likely the shipping plug that was pushed out the first time a dipstick was inserted into the tube. Found the same thing in a 96 Chevy I had.

kallisti5

Just to wrap this one up... it was definitely the spacer for the filter.

Found a great vintage video taking the TH400 apart while attached to the vehicle:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSFdFaIVeIc

The deep pan on 4 wheel drive vehicles has a spacer, the shallow pan does not.

It took *way* more fluid then I thought to fill it back up. ~7 Quarts. Hot it's mid "ok" range. Cold it looks *WAY* overfilled.

Added a drain plug using a kit from the local o'reilly, and a farpak gasket from ebay. It looks like I have a slow leak from the governor lid, but I gotta drive her ~400 Miles next weekend... wish me luck :)

IMG_20190810_092915.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks