• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 transmission service.. hopefully a bad joke?

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The drain plug you installed is in a different location than from a factory pan with a drain.
Any clearance issues?

A plug closer to the front is less likely to be caught on something.
So the theory goes anyway.

kallisti5

The drain plug you installed is in a different location than from a factory pan with a drain.
Any clearance issues?
A plug closer to the front is less likely to be caught on something.
So the theory goes anyway.
Nah, no clearance issues. Pretty much I was trying to get away from the filter as far as possible since it's the lowest thing.
Though, I completely forgot about the proximity to the FWD driveshaft. I have an inch or two so it "should be ok". Best case the driveshaft will protect it :)

I could have done it on the side "above" the driveshaft, but didn't want get to wild and make a mistake.

cucvrus

Just to wrap this one up... it was definitely the spacer for the filter.

Found a great vintage video taking the TH400 apart while attached to the vehicle:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSFdFaIVeIc

The deep pan on 4 wheel drive vehicles has a spacer, the shallow pan does not.

It took *way* more fluid then I thought to fill it back up. ~7 Quarts. Hot it's mid "ok" range. Cold it looks *WAY* overfilled.

Added a drain plug using a kit from the local o'reilly, and a farpak gasket from ebay. It looks like I have a slow leak from the governor lid, but I gotta drive her ~400 Miles next weekend... wish me luck :)

View attachment 772909
Suits me and I am very fussy. One observation was that you need a short piece of 1/4" hose to seal the metal tube to modulator connection. Only takes a few minutes more to do it right. That would concern me more then catching that drain plug on anything. By the time something reaches that drain plug the exhaust and cross member would have to be gone. Easy fix on the governor plate 4 bolts and done. The Permatex Right Stuff works. Trust me I us it on many things without and with a gasket. Also I would remove the bell crank for the shift linkage and grease that ball joint and pivot point on the transmission shift rod. Good Luck.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
By the time something reaches that drain plug the exhaust and cross member would have to be gone
Not always.

I have seen multiple times where someone ran over something in the road and it flys over and up and catches the engine or transmission oil pan or both.
Sometimes the pan(s) held up to the impact, sometimes they didn’t.

Even off-roading something can be just the right height and angle to catch it.
Plenty of dented and destroyed pans to prove it.

cucvrus

I agree. Nothing is fool proof. Even an anvil can be broken. Mostly worn down. Reminds me of Fire and Rain

Just yesterday morning a CUCV arrived.
Well the plans he had put an end to me.
I crawled out this morning and I wrote down a list.
I just can't think if I covered everything.

I've seen hacked up wires and rusted thru frames.
I've seen dented drive shafts and axles that were bent.
I've seen chewed flex plates and broken starter bolts.
But I always thought I see this project end.

Won't you look in the TM's.
We've got to get that head bolt torque just right.
I've got to get you thru another plowing season.
The body's rusty and my transmission leaks.
And It will make it thru another day.

Been cleaning and sandblasting parts by back towards the sun.
The owner knows that when the cold snow blows his plow can hit the ground.
There's hours of time on the telephone line to tell what's needed done.
Broken parts and rusty scrap in pieces on the ground.

Thought I'd fix it thought I fixed it one more time again.
There's just a few more things broken and rusty I found this time around.
Thought I fixed it thought I fixed this time around now.

Have a Great Day. Be Safe. Have a sense of Humor or stay home alone.

russojap

Last edited:

cucvrus

It is a really cool idea and I am sure it would help on a fresh rebuilt transmission. But just adding it to a 35+ year old transmission at this point is senseless. It has a nice look but like you said 1 trip off road and the holes are done for. Plugged with mud and doing nothing. I would have the current transmission overhauled by a competent rebuilder and use the deeper drain plug pan and call it quits. I mean it lasted this long and didn't need any fancy aftermarket gadgets. Another 30+ years you think you will still have it. I doubt it. Good Luck Be Safe and Save your money. It went a long way in stock form. Spend the money on keeping it going. I am sure something else could use the $150. attention.

russojap

It is a really cool idea and I am sure it would help on a fresh rebuilt transmission. But just adding it to a 35+ year old transmission at this point is senseless. It has a nice look but like you said 1 trip off road and the holes are done for. Plugged with mud and doing nothing. I would have the current transmission overhauled by a competent rebuilder and use the deeper drain plug pan and call it quits. I mean it lasted this long and didn't need any fancy aftermarket gadgets. Another 30+ years you think you will still have it. I doubt it. Good Luck Be Safe and Save your money. It went a long way in stock form. Spend the money on keeping it going. I am sure something else could use the $150. attention.
Ok, thanks, I think you're right about the price. If it was around $75 I would seriously be tempted to get one though. However, my transmission appears to have 93k miles already, so at this point there probably is no point.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks