• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My new M936 named FLUFFY

J4Jenius

I just registered onto steelsoldiers. What a great website. Everyone here is awesome and helpful. Thanks to all who participate. Now I have to figure ou20190729_202858.jpgt how to add a picture...

Last edited:

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Fluffy; that has a ring to it....nice truck. The M936 is handier that a two-perkered billy goat. Source the operating manual for the series of truck. A lot of good info to understand before you operate it. That thing can can kill you if not operated properly. -then it would be called "bad Fluffy".

J4Jenius

Thanks for the warning. I have ALL the manuals. I work at a steel mill during the day. I do farming on nights and weekends. Lots of stuff trying to kill me every day. However, your word of caution is wise and well received. Thank you.

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did you have any specific warnings in mind?
Not now, sounds like you have it covered. Your work and farming experience gives you a lot of experience, hopefully all safe. Lots of folks procure these trucks and have little or zero experience on anything larger that a riding mowing, then someone gets hurt. I just retired from 40+ years in jet transport maintenace and farm also. I have seen my share of "oops
, I didn't know that". I preach 'read the manual". Enjoy you wrecker, they are real handy around the farm, real heavy, watch soft ground.

J4Jenius

Scar59: the soft ground is why I bought it. Buried a lot of stuff since last fall. This spring was brutal wet swampy muck. I am looking into some much wider tires but not taller. From what I read on here, the taller super singles seem to dog the m936 down in higher gears on hills. I don't want that. Short and fat sounds good to me. (And if she can cook, all the better)

J4Jenius

Plus, wider tires will help because I don't want the old man complaining about the compaction of the soil when I go into the field to rescue him.

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The truck is still very heavy. Mine is still on the original 11x20 G177s. They ride great on the road. The spring here was a swampy muddy mess also. The 936 was parked under an equipment shed and still sank 10 inches just sitting because of all the moisture in the ground. If you utilize the rear winch, you'll need a four wheeler or small tractor to pull the cable out.
Do you have a set of mud spades for pulling? I have an extra set for sale.

J4Jenius

I was going to weld up a pair of Scotch Blocks. It is an old tow truck trick. Google them, they work. I winched 30000lbs with my 5500lb pickup truck and my truck didn't move an inch with the scotch blocks taking the load.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the warning. I have ALL the manuals. I work at a steel mill during the day. I do farming on nights and weekends. Lots of stuff trying to kill me every day. However, your word of caution is wise and well received. Thank you.
Welcome to SS. Scar is right about read the manauls , doing stuff wrong will empty your wallet real quick.

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Scotch blocks= wheel chocks, got it. Never heard that term. You'll need a pair of them for parking the truck. Parking brake works well when properly adjusted. Can't trust other people, chock it when parked.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Wider tire choices are very limited with the 936s given that raising the bed isn't really an option. 395s are wider than 1400s. You also loose load carrying capacity with singles over the dual 1100s. You can go to a 385 65 22.5 up front for having a wider steer tire. however finding many of them in an aggressive tread is hard to come by.

the 936 is still fairly heavy with all the BII so even a tire swap won't help much on anything remotely soft. It will go down. They put a front winch on all of them for a reason.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks